Let the band Spoon take you to "the mystery zone"

Originally published at: Let the band Spoon take you to "the mystery zone" | Boing Boing

2 Likes
3 Likes

It’s a good one, but I prefer The Underdog.

4 Likes

I am thriving on Lucifer On The Sofa, the band’s newest release.

Solid recommend.

3 Likes

I think after a few more years at BoingBoing, Devin will be able to take the first paragraph of each of his posts, arrange in order thematically, and will have a working autobiography :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I know them primarily from their work on Stranger Than Fiction. Such a delightful film.

1 Like

and speaking of live versions of songs, Midnight Special is a great source of well-performed live versions of lots of classics from the 70s-early 80s

2 Likes

I used to hate live versions of songs

I’ve generally preferred live versions of songs or albums. I don’t necessarily need every song or album to be done live but the audience’s energy does a lot to a performance but also in today’s world where every album is over produced and is just so perfect and clean i get a lot out of listening to how a band or artist would actually perform a song. Of the bands that i really love their live albums are the ones i enjoy the most.

1 Like

I’ve always liked Spoon, they were one of those bands that were always on the hot mixtape circulating through my crew although somehow I never copped any of their albums myself. this was the stand-out track I know by them:

3 Likes

I saw them twice last weekend and shouted out a request for that song at both shows. They played it the second night. It was one of the most joyful experiences I’ve had in years. So great.

2 Likes

I pretty much only listen to live recordings. So many of the bands I like either allow recording at their shows and good FLAC versions are available on archive dot org and/or they partner with nugs dot net for soundboard (with venue mic mixed in) so you can buy shows in lossless versions. And many of them also partner with them to make pro-shot video of entire shows for streaming as they happen and later consumption as well.*
Seeing live music is a HUGE part of my life and has been since I was in HS in the 80’s - that energy cannot be captured in a studio generally.
OT - We saw Spoon on a double bill a few years ago with The Shins and it was a very, very good show.

*JRAD from yesterday at Sweetwater Fest in Atlanta. Queued up to Cumberland Blues>Big River:

OT - We saw Spoon on a double bill a few years ago with The Shins and it was a very, very good show.

I was at that same show Mike (assuming SD in your username is for San Diego). Spoon was great, as always, and they went first so I could leave when the Shins came on.

Very bummed I’m going to miss their current tour–ticket prices are ridiculous.

One of the things i love about a live version is that the band or artist might play the song in a way that is rather different from the album version, and it can be quite a revelation or refreshing hearing how different it is. I don’t necessarily need every album to be live but i do want musicians to stop over producing their music, having it sound perfect or over complicated misses something in translation even if it sounds great.

I see that now - Belly Up for 75 bucks. Yea, that’s a bit much. I’ve seen Karl Denson at the Belly Up probably 20 times. We’ve seen so many great bands that have come through there. Los Lobos, moe, Keller Williams, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Living Colour, Trombone Shorty, Lake Street Dive, etc…
And yes, that’s the show I’m talking about at SDSU. Love that venue - and it’s really close to my house. We just saw Billy Strings there and will see Tedeschi Trucks in Aug there as well.
Billy Strings was unreal good.

1 Like

I’d pay $75 in a heartbeat, but it sold out really quickly and the secondary market wants $300+. Wish Spoon were playing a bigger venue this time around. Ah well, Calexico will be there in June. Enjoy your concerts.

Yikes. I didn’t see that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.