Let's Talk to Trump Supporters

I mean, in my FIL’s case, he really does care about black people, and he has many more black friends than most white people do. He always treats them with respect. If I see him with a guest, they’re generally not white. They were missionaries in Zambia when my wife was a kid, and they fostered a local boy and supported him through his studies and helped him when he got married. That family sees my in-laws as family and my FIL travelled to Zambia to see them. We almost hosted his daughter during her studies until she changed plans, because they are my wife’s family. When they were in Zambia, they were outspoken in their opposition to the racism of other white people who saw black people as beneath them. So he can credibly claim not to be racist, and the claim that ALM is racist and anyone who says it is racist will be dismissed. Stupid Democrats, they just call you bigoted if you disagree with them, without actually knowing your life or putting any effort into being a good person.

The fact is though, he is racist in important ways. You can treat any black person with respect, but see “black people” as inferior. But the label will just get him to switch off, since he can point to these credentials and dismiss the real issue.

That’s what I’ve been saying. Walk your talk, or stop talking. If you do care about all lives, treating individuals you encounter with respect won’t be enough.[quote=“LearnedCoward, post:207, topic:94345”]
One notch above:

“XYZ never happened to me, therefore it has never happened to anyone”.
[/quote]

“Everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.” – Vlad Taltos

3 Likes