Levitating extraterrestrials terrorizing villagers... weren't that.

Originally published at: Levitating extraterrestrials terrorizing villagers… weren't that. | Boing Boing

2 Likes

these flying creatures are actually illegal minors attempting to scare the locals

Kids will be kids.

12 Likes

I feel like the Scooby Gang could have gotten to the bottom of this pretty quickly.

Cartoon Monster GIF by Scooby-Doo

12 Likes

Kids with jetpacks? My childhood was sadly lacking in such awesomeness.

12 Likes

17 Likes

Those kids would have gotten away with it, if not for those meddling Police investigators!

15 Likes

lol, no way. More like a drone with a costume taped to it or something. Real jetpacks are insanely expensive and dangerous, I don’t think you can even buy them directly, they’re more toys than a real way to travel

13 Likes

Miners, maybe?

20 Likes

So, miners not minors. Unless they’re both.

10 Likes

They are minor miners toiling away in the depths of the Welsh noodle mines.

7 Likes

00ee8d31ed15751e4ad342ec300d23af

18 Likes

Wait, are the saying that a miner attempted to kidnap a minor while using a jetpack?

I think they should all go back to the:

8 Likes

I was reading this thinking, “wait, is this a *real life Scooby-Doo plot!?” If so, I’m not sure it’s actually working…

The police seem to be making the claim because supposedly one of these jetpack-wearing perpetrators tried to kidnap a child. The whole story sounds rather suspect to me, though - the cops seem to just be assuming the stories are true and offering a plausible explanation, rather than revealing any sort of truth they’ve uncovered through investigation and evidence. Someone may have tried to kidnap a minor, but the rest may just be urban legends and people freaking out and seeing “flying figures” where there are none. So yeah, it might be drone(s), or it might be nothing at all.

7 Likes

In Peru I’d say anything is possible. I love the idea of an illegal kid and I’ll bet the kids try to live up to their illegal status. The adults that come in to mine gold or other illegal extractions are bad news but a kid is a kid is a silly creature. I hope none of them are hurt in the nonsense.

4 Likes

One of the strange things about this post may be resolved thus.

As to the other, like most people, I can recognise many countries and a lot of other geographical references. But

the Ikitu indigenous residents of Alto Nanay District

…wasn’t the best clue. Turns out it is in Peru. The illegal miners were alleged to be from Colombia and Brazil.

7 Likes

You lost me.

1 Like

So, apparently miners scouting new locations to dig.

Rather than kids hazing the local indigenous population.

Certainly not gonna be Teenage Alien Joyriders…

(Welcome back, band name.)

2 Likes

Jetpacks are expensive, unwieldly, rare and impossible to operate among trees, so I think it is vanishingly unlikely that these are being used. Even the idea of costumes on drones seems a bit far-fetched. The idea of illegal miners spending a month Scooby-dooing a community to try and scare them away generally lacks credibility, as elsewhere in the Amazon basic thuggery seems to get the job done more quickly and effectively.

2 Likes

Just prop up the pishtaco fears. [despite Wikipedia, this legend is current in the Amazon.]

3 Likes
5 Likes