Liam Neeson becomes Raymond Chandler's iconic private eye in the trailer for Marlowe

It’s not that he’s a role model. Lots of stuff is off like for example how many times he gets hit on the head and loses consciousness without permanent brain damage in the Big Sleep. I mean that shit is just stupid and wrong. And the misogyny and racism is exactly like that: stupid and wrong and diminishing the story for a modern viewer/reader.

9 Likes

“I don’t mind if you don’t like my manners. I don’t like 'em myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings…” - Marlowe

Also…

ETA: I could’ve sworn that BB had a review of The Big Book of the Continental Op a few years ago, but I can’t find it. Guess it was here.

5 Likes

Yikes, that colour-grading. I bet that set dressers and wardrobe heave a big sad sigh of exasperation when all their work is turned in to gravy browning by the editors.

4 Likes

I’d love to see a new series too; though maybe with a more worldly version of the character. Derek Jacobi was great; but he didn’t really project the air of a man with a violent past in the 1st Crusade and as a sailor along the Levant.

My dream casting for the role would be Philip Madoc or Stanley Baker. Of course, Madoc got to play a Welsh detective in the wonderfully down-at-heel series, “A Mind to Kill”.

5 Likes

I’d definitely watch a Cadfael reboot.

4 Likes

I was thinking Chinatown.

4 Likes

The Easy Rollins books are stellar, and for my money Mosley is the only modern writer worthy of Chandler’s crown (since Macdonald’s Archer books). That Denzel Washington is doing Equalizer sequels instead of more Easy Rollins movies is fucking criminal. I seriously don’t get it.

8 Likes

Oh my gosh, that’s a constant theme in the old time radio version of the show. And not just that show. Between Marlowe and Johnny Dollar, it’s a veritable modern day NFL season when it comes to brain trauma.

10 Likes

Yes, but hand-cranked sounds warmer.

7 Likes

Hopefully it will have English subtitles as I found the clip very hard to understand.

1 Like

I got the feeling that between the first and second novels someone talked to him bout it as he didn’t use it as a lazy narrative tool again. The big sleep was a constant barrage of permanent brain trauma though.

2 Likes

A lot of early 2000s-style colour grading

3 Likes

Isn’t that Batman’s job?

2 Likes

Yes, but there is the pesky rights issue. Even if it feels like it, not everyone can actually make their own Batman movies all the time.

4 Likes

Is he taller than James Garner?

(EVERYONE is taller than Bogart, tho :laughing:)

I’ve always been miffed that Bruce Willis in his heyday never played Marlowe. There could have been a window for a Chandler’s stories to be rebooted by Hollywood round about the time LA Confidential came out.

10 Likes

Is Leslie Nielsen as Marlowe playing on interdimensional cable?

6 Likes

Or Steve Martin in Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid, who kept getting shot in the same shoulder.

That’s a superhero trope too, every marvel and DC comic who’s been in more than a dozen fights should have severe brain damage, but that’s a sort of dark gritty realism that wouldn’t play well.

3 Likes

From Wondermark.com

8 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve read any, but now that you mention it, Mike Hammer was presumably superhuman (& he & Velda both ageless).

2 Likes

Billionaires aren’t that popular either.

4 Likes