Liam Neeson becomes Raymond Chandler's iconic private eye in the trailer for Marlowe

Oh Lord, I hadn’t thought of that.

Someone needs to make a movie called “The Dork Knight Returns” in which Batman goes full Elon Musk and gets so high on his own PR that he starts making increasingly horrible choices until the people of Gotham have to put him down.

5 Likes

His Joseph Hallenbeck in The Last Boyscout came somewhat close, I think.

5 Likes

Anyone managed to figure out which, if any, Chandler book it is from the trailer? Cos I can’t.

I do hope they haven’t just used the name, then basically just gone: ‘Taken, but with hats’.

6 Likes

It’s based on the character but not any of the stories.

Chandler wrote a screenplay for Playback, still unproduced. What can’t someone film that?

4 Likes

Powers Booth did in the 80s, but I haven’t seen it and I don’t know anyone who has because it’s one of those older HBO shows that HBO doesn’t show. I’ve been meaning to track it down one of these years.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I’d forgotten about that one. I’ve never seen it either. I’m sure I’ve got it on an old hard drive from some long forgotten torrent site

2 Likes

FFS. So it IS Taken with hats. Oy.

2 Likes

While Raymond Chandler was born in the US (1888), his mother was Irish and " moved them to the area of Upper Norwood in what is now the London Borough of Croydon, England[6] in 1900. Formally educated in England, he moved back to America in 1912. So a Marlowe with a slight Irish accent is not beyond the pale. While Bogart essayed the most memorable Marlowe in “The Big Sleep” it is well known that Chandler would have preferred Cary Grant (!) in the role. I hope Liam’s portrayal comes off better than that of Dick Powell or the lugubrious Robert Mitchum (who was about twenty years too late in being cast as Chandler’s Detective in Shining Armor).

4 Likes

James Garner, 6’3"; Elliot Gould 6’3"; Powers Booth, 6’2"; Robert Mitchum, 6’1", Dick Powell 5’11"; Humphrey Bogart 5’8"… the sliding scale of Philip Marlowe…

2 Likes

And Neeson is I think around 8 feet tall

5 Likes

I have that on DVD, but have yet to watch it. It’s encoded for a different region. I know there are ways around that, but solving it’s one more thing on the stack of things to do when I can make more time.

1 Like

I honestly thought bogey was shorter than that.

1 Like

Oh no. That looks woeful to me. The dialogue is shocking.

I wound up watching 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea the other night. They could seriously call it Elon Musk Goes to Sea.

3 Likes

I’d go back further… I think John Ireland would’ve been a great Marlowe.

2 Likes

It’s a Dixon Hill crossover.

5 Likes

LOL, looking back I left out that Liam is 6’4"… the tallest!

1 Like

Since he’s portraying PI Marlowe, I hope at some point we’ll have Neeson saying, “I have a particular set of stills.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.