Life on the frozen-food-tasting line

[Permalink]

Such hate for frozen food. I do not understand this venom.

When faced with a shipping/preservation method that threatens to lower end-user satisfaction, a company takes a deliberate, structured approach to maximizing enjoyment. Rather than saying ā€œbut this old way is how we always did things,ā€ or just guessing at a solution, they have a calculated, dare I say scientific approach to the situation. Isnā€™t that exactly the sort of mindset BB typically encourages?

1 Like

madness

I didnā€™t see any hate? It was just a guy describing a job none of knew (at least I didnā€™t) existed and how weird it is. But I donā€™t think anyone was hating the frozen food industryā€¦?

And that animal bile, is likely rennet. Rennet is used in the production of curds. Rennet is cows stomach. I had no idea that other animals stomachs were used in the production of cheeseā€¦ inneresting!

2 Likes

I know at least two people would love that job.

I got that from Coryā€™s cardboard comment.

Rennet is usually taken from a Calfā€™s stomach, but its present in pretty much any mammal especially juveniles.

Apparently youā€™re supposed to match the species of the rennet to the species of the milk. Thereā€™s also a bunch of non-animal based alternatives. I know some traditional cheeses are coagulated with thistle, and things like ricotta are typically made with an acid.

1 Like

But if you read the article thatā€™s actually one of the things heā€™s testing for. That they do ā€œdecide how much cardboard taste is too muchā€ Thereā€™s less snark than you would think.

ā€œOne aromatic that was fun to pick out was ā€œcardboardā€ā€”an actual aromatic on the ballotā€”and to compare we had cups of water with brown paper towels in them.ā€

3 Likes

As the banana said, thats an actual flavour component they have to grade, itā€™s not a comment on the quality of food. They made them drink water with paper towels in it as a comparison.

Read the whole article, itā€™s really good.

3 Likes

Inneresting!

I read old cookbooks (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29084/29084-h/29084-h.htm) and many have recipes for cheese but they all call for ā€œcalves stomachā€ ie. rennet.

I had no idea that other milks would use other rennetsā€¦ it stands to reason theyā€™d use every part of the animal, but very interesting!

Such contempt for the worker.
Further, contempt for the consumer.
Contempt for everyone, except the shareholders; unless, of course, they ask for something that would cost the executives.

1 Like

contempt? how so?

they have a product, food. they need to make it taste as good as they can and make it as cheap as they can to get it to as many people as they can. taste testing is a process to, as well as possible, rate the taste of the product. making sure it tastes good is hardly contempt for the customerā€¦itā€™s what you SHOULD do as a food company. making sure itā€™s cheap is also what you should do, it makes it easier for the customer to buy it. it is hard on the worker sure, but thatā€™s why they get PAYED. work often comes with hardships. RMI, callouses, eye strain, blisters. these are things that happen and itā€™s why we mandate employers provide insurance.

this shows no signs of contempt, nor caringā€¦this shows signs of business. they make a product, you buy the product, everyoneā€™s happy. you donā€™t like the product, you donā€™t buy the product, maybe they make a better product you do buy.

this isnā€™t inherently wrong, its just neutral.

2 Likes

Frozen meals, not frozen food.

And no, I donā€™t think that itā€™s thatā€™s easy to reconcile this application of scientific methods with Boing Boing.

The people of BB seem to be aware that it is a means to an end, not an end in itself. Itā€™s perfectly possible to apply the scientific method with neither ethics nor morals in mind.

In this case, itā€™s merely being used to find the cheapest way to sell cheap meals to make money.

Neutral Good, or Neutral Evil?

Chaotic neutral.

To be fair, not inviting them to the company party is a little contemptuous, no?

1 Like

Hey, donā€™t go conflating my favourite alignment with frozen ready-meals!

1 Like

Itā€™s a strange thread of cultural elitism that runs through a lot of otherwise progressive circles. You see the same reaction to fast foodā€“I once saw a list of 100 iconic/unusual foods, and there were people saying ā€œIā€™d like to try the cheese with live maggots in it sometime, but a Big Mac? Ewww! No! Disgusting!ā€ Itā€™s bizarre.

Sometimes, people donā€™t have a lot of money, but they also donā€™t have the time or energy or skill or access to cook for themselves. These people need to eat too. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with trying to optimize both the price and the tastiness of eating poor.

3 Likes

Careful, weā€™ve had awful knock down drag out fights round here about ā€œpoor foodā€! For the love of god donā€™t mention rice cookers!

2 Likes

Iā€™d argue neither Maccy Dā€™s, or 1[currency unit] ready meals do thatā€¦

1 Like