Life on the frozen-food-tasting line

Can you point me where was the fuss about rice cookers? You got me by my curiosity with this one.

Lower pay during ā€œtrainingā€ period?
health and dental problems from the food they were testing?
segregation during the Christmas party?
Cardboard for tasting purposes?
that sounds like contempt to me.

all they companies care about, is their bottom line.
How they achieve it who cares?

2 Likes

Heh, it was pre-bbs days. It was awesome.
I have no idea how to find it now, or what article it was even onā€¦
Lemme try searching for rice cookers?

By the standards of the people who actually consume them, youā€™d be wrong. Youā€™re a guy in a Benz telling a minimum-wage earner that his VW Bug sucks and he should get rid of it.

Me too! Rice is great! Unless you have an allergy or something to it (is that a thing?) who could hate rice?

1 Like

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2014/01/real-money-fast-food-versus-home-cooked-meals/

Cooking at home can be faster and is typically less expensive.

1 Like

Provided you have knowledge, access to food, and time to do it. (ie no dependants or multiple jobs or reliant on public transit).

3 Likes

You have to be at least moderately proficient then. I can barely get tea and toast ready at the same time, and I still seem to end up with a sink full of pans.

2 Likes

I donā€™t hate frozen food, but after a meal that consisted of something-meat-something chipped out of the glacier of the freezer (that tasted like the freezer) because that was the only food availableā€¦ well Iā€™m no longer enthusiastic about frozen foods. Better than going hungry, but I maintain some trepidation that anything frozen is going to taste like that sad piece of blerg. Except Shumai, I am always up for trays of dubious dumplings with sesame oil and hot sauce.

Iā€™m glad someone does the tasting job, also glad itā€™s not me.

itā€™s not uncommon for people in office settings to have health problems from sitting all day, itā€™s the same there. sometimes your job has health issue. lower pay for training period makes sense (you are being trained, would you rather they give him full pay but ask for him to pay for his training?) and the lower pay was still pretty good pay. segregation they explained was because they are not full time employees, the christmas party was for full time employees only (this is not uncommon) and cardboard for tasting purpose so you have something to compare to, better than food that tastes like cardboard.

it doesnā€™t sound like contempt to me, it sounds like on-the-job hazards.lotā€™s of jobs are shitty but need doneā€¦thatā€™s just one of them.

not really, they were part time not full time. generally part time employees donā€™t get invited to company parties.

Thereā€™s some saying about a guy and fishing and lifetime, but I donā€™t recall the specifics. You make what you know how to make. I spent a lot of time on beans and rice before figuring out that I could do more with the skills of boiling and roasting.

Part time workers and contractors are still people and still employees, donā€™t they deserve cake too?

"But one day they had a large Christmas party for all the corporate employees, but didnā€™t invite us. Instead they cooked up a line of their frozen pizzas for us in the basement since we werenā€™t ā€œreal employees.ā€ And that scenario was repeated several times.

Mike: That is ā€¦ wow.

Matthew: It was very strange! It would only have taken a few gestures of goodwill to keep all the panelists there for two years. But last I heard they are looking for new panelists."

That should answer that question adequately.
If you @tuseroni donā€™t see how it is they have contempt for the consumer, then carry on eating the stuff, and good luck to you.

1 Like

Do not confuse contempt for the food for contempt for those who are forced to eat it.

If corporations were not considered people, and people were not considered cogs, the working class would not have to worry whether the Walmart they pass on the way home from the cubicle, carried a half way decent frozen meal.
And the poor would not have to hope that there was something left in the carton, once you have thrown it away.

1 Like

Britons now spend half the time preparing meals that they did 20 years ago: 34 minutes, down from an hour

But hereā€™s the thing: the average Briton (that mythological
figure, always someone else) does, somehow, find the time to watch more
than four hours of television a day. To spend eight times as long
goggling at a screen as we do feeding ourselves says something about our
priorities: we may realise that cooking is important, but weā€™d rather
watch someone else do it while we eat a sandwich.

1 Like

Four hours of TV? You guys need to catch up. Hell, our kids almost do that much a day.

1 Like

Well I spent a whole year eating 500 or fewer calories a day. I almost diedā€¦ buuuut I lost a lot of weight and am often the most food pure of everyone who enters the food purity wars around me!

I probably could have won, but then Iā€™d be dead I guess which would make it harder to argue with people on the internet about what they eat.

3 Likes

Yeah, but youā€™d have gone knowing that you were right, and thatā€™s got to be worth something.

4 Likes

Oh I can make a lot of things, from houses to electronics to music. Making food is not one of my strong suits though. Probably because Iā€™m so good at making spliffs.

1 Like