Life on the frozen-food-tasting line

Obviously we just need to put screens in the kitchens! :slight_smile:

they are people, but they are not full time employees. itā€™s pretty common that company activities are restricted to full time employees only. not just this company, most companies are like that. i think the general idea is that the full time employees give up so much more of their time so they give a party as a kind of relaxation time. the part timers had a party too (which is actually unusual) but they were separate (which also makes sense, better to have a party with the people you work with rather than strangersā€¦thoughā€¦maybe bad taste to serve them the food they have been taste testingā€¦get cateringā€¦)

1 Like

it says 4 hours a dayā€¦not a week.

4*7=28 a week

America: 34! Yeah!
American kids: 24.5 (get watching kids!)
Iā€™m wondering if this is a prevalence of American sports to run into the 4+ hour range where soccer gets a game done in about 2 hoursā€¦

My TV viewing does go up during baseball seasonā€¦

Outside of sport Iā€™m currently averaging one hour a week. i.e. Cosmos is literally the only thing I watch on TV.

Iā€™m poor. Seriously. Paycheque to paycheque, minimum wage poor. And like the banana says, itā€™s cheaper to not eat crap. Iā€™m lucky, inasmuch as fresh food isnā€™t disgustingly expensive where I live (it seems scary expensive in the states, if itā€™s available at all). So I eat stuff Iā€™ve cooked.

Not if everyone else still didnā€™t know they were wrong. Internet: wellā€¦ you know the restā€¦

[quote=ā€œtuseroni, post:42, topic:27072, full:trueā€]
they are people, but they are not full time employees. itā€™s pretty common that company activities are restricted to full time employees only. not just this company, most companies are like that.[/quote]
It is pretty common, and it is always shitty. One thing youā€™re missing is that, at a lot of companies, ā€œfull-timeā€ is a nasty little euphemism for ā€œfull-time salaried,ā€ and excludes contractors who put in the same 40+ hours as everyone else, doing the same work in the same place, but get an hourly wage and worse/no benefits.

But even for actual part-timers, there is never any justification to treat them like their contributions matter less. It is one of the shittiest, most pointlessly petty little power rituals that Iā€™ve seen in corporate America. And boy, doesnā€™t it feel good when the major local employer proudly talks about how every one of their employees gets industry-beating health care, and youā€™re the only one in the room who knows that when they say ā€œemployeeā€ they mean less than 20% of their actual workforce.

4 Likes

Orā€¦ you could just store your food properly in the freezerā€¦then it should taste fine.

Thanks for the link! As far as I know calves stomach and the microbe bred stuff are the most common, but it would make sense if youā€™ve got sheep to use sheep stomach.

Its funny how you pick this stuff up. I grew up surrounded by farms, and my Grandfather kept a small 4 acre farm. And despite having nothing the shit to do with farming or cheese making Iā€™ve always considered this stuff common knowledge.

1 Like

That was a favored tactic when I worked at Whole Foods. ā€œEvery employee qualified for health careā€ after working the equivalent of a yearā€™s full-time hours (no matter how long it took you, and of course god help you if you got sick in that first year.) But the people cleaning the bathrooms and the floors and the storage areas, the people working the parking garage and the parking lot entrance and security, the people emptying the trash and the recycling bins and cleaning the grease traps? None of those folks got a damn thing. Barely over minimum wage, no benefits, no sick time - the wife of our most hard-working and long-time custodian developed breast cancer, and employees started talking about writing a letter to HQ advocating that the custodial staff be actual employees instead of farmed out to the most exploitative contractor, until management got wind and strongly implied that this would be considered ā€œorganizingā€ and would be strictly frowned upon.

Some people bought outdated packaged food and baked goods off the 25-cent rack near the employee break room to pass along to him and his wife, until regional HQ shut that down as an ā€œun-earned benefitā€ and took the discount racks away entirely.

3 Likes

I still tell stories of the $8 broccoli I saw for sale in Port Orange, Florida. Same brand from California I buy for $1 in Toronto. Crazy man. And if you had kids? I cannot imagine trying to feed a family with prices like that!

A two year contract sounds pretty fulltime to me.
Few hundred years ago, kings had people to taste the food for them in case it was poisoned

1 Like

Fuck, yeah. Iā€™d have been over the moon to get a two-year contract from temping jobsā€¦

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.