Light turnout for Trump inauguration

22 Likes

Source?

Yup. This is my old boss. If he wasn’t being revered he would literally throw a tantrum.

4 Likes
9 Likes

Those of you condoning or approving confirmed and documented blocking of entryways to the inauguration: yo, what?

Political protest is about raising awareness and changing the outcomes that matter for the better. This is is the kind of shit that galvanizes right-wind sympathizers.

If you can’t think of a constructive way to protest, volunteer. Planned Parenthood for one will probably need your help once their federal funding is stripped.

ETA: Just caught the ‘right-wind’ typo. Keeping it.

5 Likes

Thanks. Usually when people just say “Source?” It means they doubt it is true. In this case I figured it was true – just wanted the full context!

3 Likes

Nobody is perfect, not you, not me, and not any President; Clinton, Bush, Obama, and now Trump, there were events that make them look good, and events that make them look bad. If every time something doesn’t cut his way Trump says “it’s all lies and fake news” then logically for some of those times he will be lying, both to the world and to himself.

That’s all you need to say to your Trump-licking friends, “Do you really believe Trump is perfect? Because if every time the press reports something bad about him and it’s a lie, then logically he must be absolutely flawless, a pitcher with an ERA of .000 who throws a perfect game every time. So, either he’s perfect, or he’s feeding you shit and telling you it’s chocolate. Enjoy your meal.”

10 Likes

You sound like CNN! Off with his head!

1 Like

But there’s a strategy at work here. The Trump administration is creating a baseline expectation among its loyalists that they can’t trust anything said by the media. The spat over crowd size is a low-stakes, semi-comic dispute, but the groundwork is being laid for much more consequential debates over what is, and isn’t, true.

Delegitimizing the institutions that might report inconvenient or damaging facts about the president is strategic for an administration that has made a slew of impossible promises and takes office amid a cloud of ethics concerns and potential scandals.

It also gives the new administration a convenient scapegoat for their continued struggles with public opinion, and their potential future struggles with reality.

22 Likes

I think this snowflake got triggered.

16 Likes

Note to those clicking the link: don’t read the comments unless you already feel hopeless.

Note to the hopeless: didn’t know the abyss went deeper, did ya?

10 Likes

Yes! This is what I was thinking about earlier. Thanks for posting this. :slight_smile:

Like, fact-based reporting from the media is the enemy of authoritarianism, so you reduce the impact of facts by simply lying about absolutely everything. And let’s not forget that Orange Shitler is very familiar with Mein Kampf. This whole deal of lying about obvious and trivial stuff really smacks of a Big Lie strategy.

15 Likes

Corrected!

Los Angeles: 750K
Washington, DC: 500K
New York: 400K
Chicago: 250K
Boston: 175K
Denver: 150K
Seattle: 130K
London: 100K
Portland: 100K
St. Paul: 100K
San Francisco: 100K

TOTAL: 4.1M

Pete Meyers

9 Likes

To be fair, I disapprove of that specific action. What I do approve of is that people are motivated enough to start standing up and fighting, even if some of it is misdirected at this time. They’re angry? Good. Every movement needs both the reasonable, level headed types as well as those ready to freak out and break shit. Neither alone is enough.

(You may not get your civil rights by just screaming and setting fires, but you sure won’t get anything standing there with your hat in your hand say “Please sir, may I have some civil rights?”)

19 Likes

“Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?”

It’s gaslighting at its finest, ladies and gentlemen.

28 Likes

Obama is pre-Twitter?

1 Like

Are they gonna turn it into a skate park. I can dig that.

Thanks Rob, please continue to use Boing Boing as a way to humiliate Trump even at the risk of your own credibility.

Well, there’s at least one guy who vigorously supports safe spaces.

1 Like

23 Likes

Seriously, let up on the trolling, after all we all know Hillz did everything that was expected and necessary to win:

• She slept in her own bed every night on the campaign trail, instead of staying out in the heartland to campaign day in and day out, blocking and tackling and playing to win. I believe they call that retail politics. HRC was terrible at this, in large part because she came across as inauthentic (probably because she was).

• She focused on the wrong states, despite grassroots activists raising the alarm bells, early and often, in Wisconsin and Michigan. The party insiders in Brooklyn and DC knew how to win and their gameplan didn’t involve retail politicking or grassroots. But this is what’s expected, right?

• She never visited Wisconsin during the general campaign, because her echo chamber of sycophants and a big data wreck they named Ada told the whole mess of them that all was well in the Badger State, despite many locals on the ground vocally stating exactly the opposite. Garbage In, Garbage Out.

• She farmed out campaign dirty work to the likes of inveterate political scumbag David Brock, who brought out the sock puppets, astroturfing and general forum noise and social media cacophony that only added to the echo chamber, but probably lined the pockets of Brock rather nicely. If it had any real effect on the election, it was to turn more people off and decrease turnout in November.

• Oh yeah, she blew through a billion dollars in campaign funding with nothing to show for it.

There is little doubt that Trump is an unmitigated disaster . . .

. . . but I will hit the streets when millions of people are protesting the way Hillary and the DNC got us into this mess by ignoring the groundswell of populist sentiment against globalism and neoliberalism building up to this election, colluding against a legitimate progressive with a winnable grassroots campaign, and then elevating a terrible candidate surrounded by an echo chamber of captured party hacks into the candidacy.

The Democratic Party are as much what brought on this mess as Trump and the Republicans, perhaps more. This disaster will continue beyond four years if the opposition party doesn’t get its act together AND SOON!

10 Likes