Like/Dislike versus Agree/Disagree

I’ve wrote on this before. The way it’s set up is that the only response is like and there is no dislike by design, which I (ahem) like. I don’t want the participation here to get any more bogged down in politics than what is inherent in any opinionated discussion. particularly when a dislike is treated as a downvote, that’s disgusting hivemind territory.

I sort of resent that my easy, automated responses (which I do think is a worthwhile idea, for the reasons @PromptedInk shared) are limited to a binary: either LIKE/(ABSTAIN), or in your version AGREE/DISAGREE. I thought this community, of all communities, took pride in the idea the human experience is not a binary. I proposed buttons for “acknowledgement” (of a reply, or just a “big-up”-type gesture,) “made me laugh,” “thank you,” and some others including like and agree/disagree.

Then again, in the Discourse team’s defense, I acknowledged that suggesting ideas is all fine and good, but I’m not the one that would have to code them into the board. I don’t think @codinghorror was keen on the idea anyhow, though, irrespective of the work involved. 'S all good, though. I enjoy the board anyway.

7 Likes