Like notifications are getting louder ❤ 🎧 ⬆ 1️⃣1️⃣

Yes, I am working on that right now, it is surprisingly devilish to implement but I am getting there.

It gets tricky when you try to handle people undoing a like.

“Sam, Bob and 3 others” … then Bob unlikes and we have to regenerate that message without bumping a notification

4 Likes

I understand your motivation here, but it is a slippery slope.

It starts with you opting for “deleting” the :heart: from your posts, and then well… maybe you don’t want 1 sentence replies to your posts. Cause, you can not convey a rich amount of “reply-ieness” in 1 liners.

I think there is a lot more to the :heart: than what there seems to be on the surface of it.

• It allows us to summarize long keeping the “best” content visible while collapsing other bits of content.

• It allows others to discover @Brainspore’s content by browsing “Great Post” badge.

• It acts as a “I acknowledge you” kind of feedback.

• It eliminates the +1 and like etc. type replies that plague systems with no mechanism of liking.

That said, I am open to a “never notify me on likes” option for people who just don’t want to be notified of likes.

14 Likes

I saw that. I may have ~2.6-odd-percent of the great posts, but @Brainspore needs to be studied. Just judging from the BBS that guy’s got some major charisma. Must’ve rolled a nat20 on that.

9 Likes

Me too! that makes us each worth 20% of @Brainspore. Together, we’re not even half the poster they are. :wink:

1 Like

And, really, who couldn’t use more :large_blue_circle: in their daily lives?

4 Likes

@wrecksdart hovers briefly over the mouse button

Disconcerting, you say? Six days? HA! Amateur!

5 Likes

Please lower the number of globally available likes, on a daily basis, to 5.

16 Likes

Don’t make me come over there and beat you!

10 Likes

I guess that I will need to use other means to note my approval…

9 Likes

Ah, the old good cop / bad cop routine! I’m picking up what you’re laying down, @jlw!

You know how much the audience here loves cops! :wink:

14 Likes

Our call is to leave the default “notify on first like and daily” enabled, but I would strongly recommend you regulars turn on “always” in you user preferences and let me know how it feels.

Our strategy here is to leave it on “notify on first like and daily” for now and discuss bumping up the volume even more, by default, in 2 months.

Regardless as an end user you are and will be able to control the volume.

Any very active users like @LDoBe @crenquis @noahdjango etc. let me know how it “feels” when you have it on “always” for 2-3 days. (collapsing is implemented and deployed here)

• Like it? :slight_smile:

• Hate it? :upside_down:

8 Likes

Giving it a shot. I’ll let you know how I feel in a few days.

Honestly, I kind of love that little squirt of dopamine every time I get to see a :heart: on one of my posts. I know I’m probably gamifying it too much, but I like it.

8 Likes

you got it, sir. ready when you are.

edit: oh, it’s ready, derp. OK, I selected “always.”

3 Likes

Fine, I’ll click it for you :nerd:

2 Likes

no, i was confused because you said it was a thing yesterday but I didn’t see any daily agregate in my feed this afternoon so I assumed you were still writing it. my b :slight_smile:

No probs at all, we do move quite fast :race_car: it can be sometimes a bit confusing.

4 Likes

+1 

4 Likes

My only comment on having it set on always is that you need to scroll through tons of notifications because every individual like gets it’s own alert… box? Can I just call them boxes?

How heavy would the coding [and notification design changes?] be to make all likes on a given post stack instead of appear as separate notification alerts… boxes. Then again it’s not like I would be the one to do any of the coding, or implementation, or… erm, I’m going to just stop typing now.

For every like we get, then 1 notification. But for every like Brainspore gets, we should get notified 5 times. Just to let us know how inferior our wit is.

9 Likes

How come I never hit a like ceiling? Do I not like enough shit? How many likes is the maximum? I swear some days that I’ve been on Xstacy I have liked shit all day long and never run out. Why is that?

2 Likes