Limited-edition tortilla vinyl: here's what it sounds like on a record player

Nacho kind of humor?

As a non-Mexican of Latin-American descent, I groaned and chuckled.

2 Likes

I trust, Xeni means only funny good things here. Iā€™m Italian and tried the thought experiment for Turntable Pizza music:
Thatā€™s Amore: Funny
Godfather theme: Not funny.
Figlia Mia (Louis Prima version only): Funny
Tarantella Dance: Not funny
Why this particular combination of Mexican music and spinning Tortilla offend, I canā€™t explain.

2 Likes

What if it was a Godfatherā€™s Pizza?

(I kid, it would be hateful to suggest that kind of food had any association with Italy.)

Flour? Itā€™s shocking what passes for a tortilla around here! Ground nixtamalized maize straight into a hot skillet is the only way to go if you want to hear every nuance in the performance as intended by the artist.

2 Likes

ThatĀ“s a great point, would a piece of music that is a little less of a clichĆØ work better? Something that might indicate at least a passing familiarity with the subject matter that makes it clear that its done out of love?

1 Like

To me, your link would be way funnier with the gag. Maybe the problem is combining imagery used widely in the past to rpomote offensive racist stereotypes. The Hat Dance, La Cucharacha. Like a binary explosive. Innocent fun until unwittingly combined with a rotating tortilla.

1 Like

You havenā€™t really heard Floyd until you experience them on Blue Corn!

I actually meant it as an honest question, not rhetorical. When Iā€™m not in a group, I never know just whereā€™s the line between funny and not-funny. Rather than tell Jew jokes, or Mexican jokes, or whatever, itā€™s usually best if I keep my big mouth shut. But Iā€™m still interested to know if this would be funny to Mexicans, or offensive?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.