Linkrot on The Million-dollar Homepage

[Permalink]

1 Like

I’m amazed it’s only 22%. Seems to me as if all links die within five years - including the Moments in Blogging History.

Exactly. I think that the real number of dead links is obscured because dead domains get bought, or simply ad-squatted by registrars when the original owner stops paying.

1 Like

I will give the person who came up with the idea a fair amount of credit, that was a darn fine get rich quick idea.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is snarky of me to point out that the kid still has absolutely no physical evidence of having made that kind of money. I have read several interviews with him where he has emphasised what a humble millionaire he is. Still stacking shelves in the local supermarket, still living with his mum, having turned down plenty of lucrative job offers in order to focus on studies.
My two cents is that this is a story of teenage hubris which snowballed a bit too quickly out of the kid’s control. He should be given a fair chance to admit that he pretty much made it all up.

But . . . but. . . I thought “the internet was forever”?!

Researchers at Harvard found that at least 50% of URL-based legal citations in US Supreme Court opinions, for instance, no longer point to the originally referenced material.

Today I learned that the US Supreme Court use URL-based legal citations in their opinions that doesn’t link to some persistent legal database. O_o

The case of the missing link.

1 Like

I would bet that he made about 100k-200k off it, given the $1m rate card, a narrative aspect that needs it to keep filling at a certain pace, and no actual experience selling ads

It’s ok you’re not too late for the Dogecoin version!

http://onemilliondoge.com/

And also not simply canonically pure rot, but also functional rot, where the link takes you to a site under perpetual construction because it was never finished or a non-functioning business. I’d estimate that it’s closer to 1/3 useless.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.