Lion killing dentist emails his clients, shows little remorse

[Read the post]

1 Like

It is soo maddening. Yes, hunt. But ffs, http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/extinction-countdown/african-lions-face-extinction-by-2050-could-gain-endangered-species-act-protection/

If you want to hunt big game, go legally hunt a bear (unlike last time where you got caught)

15 Likes

“You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don’t you? Newer magazines.”

11 Likes

Per the British comedian Richard Herring, he regrets that his hobby of decapitating and skinning endangered African lions has led to the death of an African lion.

20 Likes

Cecil the lion and the flaming douche nozzle that mortally injured him with a crossbow bolt, Minnesota sadist Walter Palmer.

Edit to add caption

10 Likes

I still imagine that it will be something like this:

37 Likes

It appears to me that isn’t what he said. He thought his hunt was a legal sanctioned one. I don’t know if that is the truth or not. If it isn’t then shame on him and he should pay for his crime. If he was scammed then it is hard for me to fault him.

But animals on game preserves have to be culled because their numbers can out pace what the land will support. Generally when they do allow an animal to be culled, it is an older male that is no longer part of the breeding population. What happens when too many of the these large animals live on a reserve is they ended up eating crops and live stock of the locals and they end up poisoning lions, elephants, etc.

5 Likes

I am not sure I want a dentist with this little empathy. He enjoys and is passionate about killing things.

From there is a short distance to…

10 Likes

It would be great if we could reach a consensus about hunting. I have known quite a few deer hunters, kind and law-abiding people for the most part. I don’t believe a one of them would shoot a rare creature, and they knew the land well enough to know. They ate what they shot, and what they couldn’t eat went to a local food bank.

Naturally, there are those who want to ban hunting altogether, everywhere on earth, and there are those, like Mister Teeth, who think shooting a rare large predator is the epitome of manliness. Personally, I think a middle ground makes more sense, at least until the day we all become pacifists and vegans.

This is not the case with African lions.

36 Likes

So you lay $50k plus travel to hunt a lion. And you don’t bring a spotting scope (which every birder has) to get a good look?

Even if he was duped, his pattern shows negligence.

All Walters trophies, mandatory donation to a museum.

15 Likes

the fact it’s a status symbol and that there’s so much money involved is one of the reasons why people are making them go extinct.

6 Likes

Legally sanctioned hunts don’t require bribing park officials $50,000. It’s hard to imagine that happening without his knowledge or without cluing him into the fact the hunt was dodgy.

13 Likes

It’s not that hard really.

Do you need to hunt in order to survive? Go for it.

Do you want to hunt because you like killing things? Start with yourself and go from there.

23 Likes

I don’t really care about hunting, done responsibly, safely, and respectfully, any more than I do about fishing, or pressing wildflowers. Traveling thousands of miles to kill hugely endangered animals because you’ve got insane machismo issues doesn’t fit my definition of “responsibly”, nor of “respectfully”, even without the poaching issues. I suppose it’s safe enough, though, for the hunter.

15 Likes

The whole dragging a dead antelope behind a truck to lure the lion off of the preserve also seems like it should have raised a flag or two with this honest and rule following hunter/moralist.

34 Likes

according to the researchers at the Jimmy Kimmel show, it wasn’t his first lion kill.

2 Likes

Best Yelp review:

“Weird visit. Some guy lured me into the dental chair by waving beef jerky at me,” one Yelp reviewer wrote. “Once I sat down, Dr. Palmer viciously attacked my one cavity, but was unable to hit it with the drill. Profusely bleeding from my mouth, I fled the building and wandered the surrounding woods for a day and a half. Thankfully, I didn’t bleed out. My family would’ve been killed and eaten by my neighbors. Two stars.”
26 Likes

Everyone who lives in an area infested (and I use that word on purpose) with them thanks them.

Same goes with people who fish Asian carp (in the US) kill em all and eat them all. Or don’t.

I’ve recently drastically cut back on the meat in my diet for ethical reasons (I’m almost vegetarian except for fish, because I can’t get EPA and DHA from plant sources), but I generally don’t have as big a problem with hunters. I’m okay with people cutting down a deer or duck who’s lived outside instead of in a cage or factory farm.

Actually the thing that bothers me about this story is that people can’t seem to articulate what’s wrong with this except that the lion was beloved and not used for food. I don’t believe in making animals suffer unnecessarily, but I know that a lot of people who have a problem with this are going to grab some beef jerky they don’t need to eat to survive or maybe throw away some fried chicken they never got to. What’s the difference? The answer isn’t even in its conservation status, and you (not @boundegar specifically, this whole comment employs the global “you”) know it’s not because you hated the story and the man before you went to Wikipedia to look it up. There’s a half decent article on this phenomenon here.

I’m not saying this to sway people to my particular (and idiosyncratic) form of pseudo-vegetarianism, that’s not a particular cause of mine. I’m just genuinely wondering what the fuss is about. It seems that killing a lion isn’t what the problem is, but that he killed a popular lion. Hell, barely. Two years from now, are you going to remember you cared?

10 Likes

I think it was a protected, banded lion, and it was lured out of the wildlife preserve it called home. That’s the problem.

Also, if most people forget to care, does that mean a problem doesn’t matter? What an unusual ethics.

15 Likes

Okay, are we angry because he illegally killed a protected lion, or because he shot a lion at all? I’m seeing a lot of legitimate anger around this whole issue, but I’m also seeing a lot of the sort of smug urbanites who sneer when some barbaric subhuman redneck shoots a deer, but have no problem noshing down on a factory-farmed hamburger.

2 Likes