List of bands banned on Soviet radio, and why. Agreed on Julio Iglesias

Dude, how long ago do I have to have joined before you allow me to ask a question? Did you actually understand the question I asked? Do you actually believe everything anybody posts somewhere without any proof whatsoever? Do you know what ‘urban myth’ means? And if, how do you know? Do you ever ask questions yourself, Dude?

Unfortunately there are a few pages not accessible at google books, but it took me only a few minutes to find out - at least to my understanding, and please, tell if I’m wrong - that this ‘pamphlet’ was product of the Komsomol and according to Wikipeda “Komsomol had little direct influence on the Communist Party or the government of the Soviet Union, but it played an important role as a mechanism for teaching the values of the CPSU to youngsters.”

Which means, nothing was banned because a) this list by this organization was more to draw attention to ‘issues’ and b) the Komsomol was no power or say in such matters at all.

So, while this document is certainly interesting to read, it seems that as so often, it is taken out of context and portrayed in a false light. But then again, please prove me wrong!

That doesn’t make it “not real”. It just makes it ineffective.[quote=“CYates, post:25, topic:33183, full:true”]
And how do we know this whole thing is for real? Because there’s some weird Russian newspaper cut out that we can’t read? Somehow it looks very fake to me!
[/quote]

Try harder. You may want to read this page, and actually find out about WHY a communist government would even allow discos. (It was to get young people in so they’d show up for required party meetings.) The Komsomol controlled the discos.

http://rbth.asia/blogs/2013/07/29/1980s_-_the_golden_age_of_soviet_discotheques_48225.html

The ignorance of the uninformed here is really mind blowing. It’s the same ignorance of course you’d find in Russia itself, their uninformed view of the USA is the very same! They really don’t know better and you really don’t know better too. If you’d hear their opinions about the USA you would stare in utter disbelief - and vice versa. I happened to grow up just outside the USSR but visited often. In every country there’s two cultures, the ‘official one’ nobody except aparatchiks care about and the actual real one, worlds apart. By quoting some silly ‘official’ newspaper articles you won’t come very close to what really happened. Yes, there were ‘official discos’ where nobody except the (communist)party people went and then there was the places where real life happened. Can you imagine? Just think of what your parents thought you were doing and what really happened, for crying out loud. This whole hoopla about so called ‘banned music’ is utterly bull - but hey, if you want to believe it, keep your head in the sand :wink:

2 Likes

…and with that, the troll went crying into the night.

And what exactly makes me a troll? And why would I cry? Please enlighten!

Yes, but your original question was whether the whole thing was real. There presumably was a real list of banned music, regardless of whether people actually obeyed the list. I think many or most of the people here understand that a list of banned music is a comment about the department that decided what music to ban much more than it is a comment about how people actually lived their lives.

I can’t say I’m an expert, but I don’t understand why you questioned the authenticity of the list itself.

1 Like

Because this is not a ‘List of bands banned on Soviet Radio’. This is a list produced by a Soviet organization ‘recommending’ that these musical acts should not be played in Discos! That is quite a difference. I’m not even sure if this Komsomol recommendations were for the whole USSR or only for the Ukraine (then part of the USSR). It is an interesting document, no question - I really have issues with flashy headlines that have little to do with the facts.

1 Like

I think that’s a very valid criticism of the headline. I think you just set some people off with:

Which is an entirely different issue.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.