Pussy Riot use footage of cossack horsewhipping in new music video

[Permalink]

1 Like

WTB translation.

I can’t say that I’m overly fond of their aesthetic, but I am always thrilled to see anyone anywhere stand up bravely in the face of oppression.

6 Likes

Wow, I even liked music in this one!

4 Likes

So that’s what their music sounds like. Who would have known?

Pretty good song. I like the message (from what I can gather from the english title and context) and I sort of think the guerilla footage is quite effective for what they are trying to do.

1 Like

I’m no expert on punk rock, but I’m guessing its purest form is unmediated revolutionary energy. These women are special. These women are catalyst.

4 Likes

I wish I were the one who wrote this, but, “In America, pussy whips you!”

6 Likes

It’s fairly easy to rile up patriarchal fascists but the fact that they can do it with such elegant and skilful means is what impresses me.
The simple addition of those colourful balaclavas scratches the illusionary surface of reality and reveals the innate, revolutionary potential of femininity.

Obviously, their balaclava-power is derived from the rhetoric associated with that symbol, so in a way, I almost agree with the dissenters; once the philosophy is established, the important actions become those taken to publicly frame the intent.

However, I do believe the fractious, purist bullshit is way more damaging to the purpose of the group than it would be to just heal the political divide.

1 Like

Taking on Putin is one thing, but they’re taking on the IOC here too… uh oh.

2 Likes

Strangely, they have it in English as “Putin Will Teach You How To Love”, but it’s actually “Putin Will Teach You How To Love the Motherland”, not sure why they excised “Rodina” (motherland) from the English title.

Obviously the footage is a good example of what they mean by “Putin Will Teach You How To Love the Motherland.”

I read the full title somewhere else as the footage was circulating–buzzfeed or Gawker, I’d imagine.

The video fits the song’s thesis, that’s for sure.

God, I love these people. Absolutely unbreakable.

4 Likes

Those kids are mad punk rock.

4 Likes

I keep seeing that title as “Pussy Riot use footage of horse cock whipping in new music video.” Double takes galore…

3 Likes

These women are badass.

2 Likes

When I first saw the whipping I thought “that is going to make one badass music video.”

I have to admit this is the first time I´ve heard Pussy Riot´s music and I like it. Very raw, the energy reminds me of Iggy & The Stooges.

1 Like

Good on them. In the U.S., they would have been cuffed and thrown in jail just because of the baclavas. Or tased.

1 Like

Punk as Fuck.

1 Like

anyone got this subbed?

2 Likes

Horse Whipped - Crime and Punishment…

Fucking genius…