Pussy Riot's new video "Police State" released on today's anniversary of the 2016 US presidential election

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/08/pussy-riots-new-video-poli.html

1 Like

Neat. I will have to watch later. I am required by law to mention KMFDM’s homage on their album KUNST (when means art in German) by the artists BRUTE!

1 Like

"OMG I’m so happy I could die"

I smell awesomeness!

1 Like

More Pussy Riot and much less pussy grabber please.

8 Likes

Notice, how the cross on image is Roman Catholic, and not Eastern Orthodox one. The Catholics are currently 1% minority in Ukraine. The scene represents Femen chainsawing cross that was memorial to stalinist anti-religious purges and 1930’s famine in Ukraine caused by communism.

According to Reuters there was no police on the scene when incident happened:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-pussyriot-femen/ukraine-activist-cuts-down-cross-in-russian-female-punk-rock-band-protest-idUSBRE87G08M20120817
Femen selected an easy target - chainsawing Eastern Orthodox cross would have been met with far more serious repercussions. For Ukrainian government it was convenient way to show that religious minorities are not welcome there.
Analogical situation would be a desecration of mosque in US by some political group, followed by lack of response by the police. Certainly not a good thing.

Having said that, Pussy Riot are doing important work, bringing attention to topics like police brutality, women’s rights and criticizing authoritarianism both in US and Russia. Their other videos are definitely worth watching too.

My wife and fellow Happy Mutant, Grace Kline, edited this! So proud!

2 Likes

big-love-nikki

Too bad one member of Pussy Riot is dating a neo-Nazi.

1 Like

Do you have source for this? Their work doesn’t seem to exactly be liked by neo-nazis…

1 Like

I probably over-stated it by calling him a Neo-Nazi. He’s far-right. He cofounded a group that was one of the organizations who called for Pussy Riot to be imprisoned after their protest in a church.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think that artist’s personal life shouldn’t condemn their work (at least in this case), but that is an interesting fact. Even more interesting is that he risked being expelled from his organization.
If the band’s message doesn’t get corrupted, personal relationships of the band members are their own business.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.