Interview with Pussy Riot about new video

[Read the post]

Soooo many hand motions in this video. Good stuff!

Decent, for hiphop.

But Vladimir Vysotsky they are not.

Pussy Riot are a radical, anonymous collective. These women in this video are awesome, but they’re more Pussy Riot alumni.

More details on Pussy Riot art movement, a bit NSFW: http://www.henrikaeshna.com/apps/blog/sex-orgy-in-a-museum-what-does

Be loyal to those in power, because power is a gift from God, son. I love Russia. I’m a patriot.

Wow that sounds like a lot of Americans.

Having lived in both, and in some of the Eastern and Western European countries ‘in-between,’ I’ve found that the US and Russia are kind of fun-house reflections of each other. Massive, former-Cold-War-superpowers, which indulge in a great deal of patriotic self-mythologizing (perhaps most uncritically regarding the WWII era), and which are large enough geographically that their denizens rarely have need to leave their country’s borders, and tend to resultantly be a bit provincial, xenophobic, monolingual, and ‘my-way-or-the-highway.’ The denizens of those countries who DO opt to leave their homelands’ borders both tend to have a reputation for being especially demanding and ignorant tourists, Both countries also give off a kind of ‘wild west’ or ‘mad max’ vibe as a result of being places where, due to rampant privatization and corruption, life is pretty cheap.

@xeni the comment link for the Edgar Mitchell post doesn’t work.

Hip hop does not originate in “gangster culture,” it originates in street party culture. If, as punks, they changed format to make a point about state corruption, the style appropriation seems misguided and clumsy…imo.

You are undoubtably correct. But the Pussy Rioter is addressing Russian people, so speaks of what Russians believe, not what is factual, in which case the comparison is pertinent.

Pussy Rioter is addressing Russian people, so speaks of what Russians believe, not what is factual

Okay? Just wanted to clarify the misrepresentation of hip-hop by Pussy Riot in the interview section. Maybe the producer steered them wrong?
If Russians believe that Hip Hop is rooted in Gangster-ism, they are wrong. Publicizing misleading information for political ends is propaganda…even when metaphorical…imo

No, I can’t see that comparison at all.

Also, there’s a saying here that Americans are Russians with a deodorant.

Ugly America abroad (and at home) is as ugly as ever.

misleading information about the origins of a musical style, is propaganda?

Well, that sure seems like the most important part of the Pussy Riot saga.

Many thanks for setting us straight! /s

Are we allowed to consider the song without the political message? Just as a song, it doesn’t satisfy any traditional aesthetics. Hip hop? Really? I think what they are missing is a true musical hit. If they focused on making something that people can’t get out of their heads, some kind of infectious groove, their message would have a much greater impact.

True that. Compare with this:

“allowed”?

Also, who outside of Russia knows what works as an earworm in Russian ears?

I do think your main point is a good one; I’ve gathered that this song for instance worked that way:

I wonder if his stuff resonates with anyone under the age of say, 40?

I for one always liked it, and I am under 40 even if rather narrowly.