List of thousands of criminal cops accidentally released under public records laws, now CA AG threatens 2 reporters with legal action for having a copy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/26/list-of-thousands-of-criminal.html

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra told two Berkeley-based reporters that it is against the law to even possess a copy of this never-before-publicly-released list of convicted cops.

16 Likes

Your source link is malformed.

6 Likes

Sorry CA AG, cat out’a bag, too bad, so sad.

22 Likes

Christ, what an asshole

4 Likes

So how do we get a hold of that list? Time to Streisand that baby.

12 Likes

Becerra has to make a really good show of this. He certainly wouldn’t want to piss off one of those criminal cops, especially the violent ones who may be pushed into holding back on a Xmas card, or who may be pushed in doing something else.

2 Likes

there’s innocent until proven guilty, and then there’s insanity.

i wonder if this is true in other states, and what happened to cops on the force who were hired before the law changed.

[edit]
somehow, i’m not surprised.

Law enforcement groups have sued to limit the impact of that law, claiming it shouldn’t expose police disciplinary records created before the law took effect on Jan. 1.

4 Likes

Have they put this into a past bin yet…?

4 Likes

Sounds like Mick was right:
“Every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints”

7 Likes

Fairly disingenuous quote from a lawyer representing police:

“To the extent the public wants that to be public record, I can understand that,” said Rains, who is leading a legal fight to block the release of officer disciplinary records under the new law.
“Why don’t we make that known for everybody?” Rains said of convictions, pointing out there’s no broad disclosure for lawyers, doctors, teachers and other trusted professionals.

Absolute bullshit. Every quarter the NC Medical Board produces a long list of every infraction sent before them. It ranges from malpractice and inappropriate relationships with patients to DWIs and poor record keeping. California’s board looks to be a little more opaque, but you can search for actions taken against any licensee.

20 Likes

So these are only the ones who were prosecuted? Twelve thousand in just one state?

8 Likes

Considering the list was “accidentally” released to them perhaps they can also “accidentally” put it out onto the internet. You know, because these things happen.

11 Likes

Yeah, these are professions with relatively stringent oversight compared to police and it’s not like any of these other professionals are given weapons and the benefit of the doubt when they kill someone, either.

17 Likes

As a teacher at the college level I was 100% background checked for criminal activity.

10 Likes

yeah, that jumped right out at me too.

it’s hard for me to understand how anyone – from the AG, to the police union, to the police themselves – would think it’s a good idea.

this is all stuff that gets you kicked out of the military. you don’t even necessarily have to be convicted to be reprimanded, told you can’t carry fire arms, or barred from serving.

but, being a cop – yeah, go ahead. that’s just fine :\

11 Likes

The linked article says that the list includes some officers who were fired for arrests, some who remain on the force, and some applicants who were never hired. Since the reporters haven’t finished sorting through all the data or released it publicly, it’s not clear how much of each group there is.

2 Likes

I hope they publish the list publicly. This is info vital to the safety of the citizens of California, and it’s a disgrace that it’s not public already.

5 Likes

POST provided 10 years’ worth of convictions — nearly 12,000 names in all

So am I mathing correctly that on average 1200 police are convicted of a crime each year in CA. I mean the state has a very large population so I’m assuming there are a ton of police, but still 12,000 names over 10 years on average is a bit scary or would it be more likely a single cop is hit with multiple convictions counting toward the 12,000 names, but the article makes it sound like 12,000 “unique” names.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that this is only the list of convicted cops.

The list of guilty cops is much, much longer.

18 Likes

Can we have a list of all the cops who aren’t criminals?

8 Likes