List of words known better by UK people than U.S. people, and vice versa

Dosa are pretty popular here in Texas cities especially with people looking for good veggie dishes.

4 Likes

At least it’s not standard French, English or Italian cuisine with a dash of curry powder.

1 Like

What a ridiculous idea for a list. In the modern online world, there is no separation.
<reads UK list, yes, very good>
<reads US list, …um…errr…>
Ok, maybe you’re on to something. I understood not a single entry from the US list (and everything from Blighty).

3 Likes

Yeah, the British familiarity with Americanisms doesn’t work in reverse. I’ve seen British authors explain that they use American spellings and avoid non-obvious British slang and terminology because they sell the book in the UK, Canada and the US, and Brits don’t get hung up on Americanisms, the reverse isn’t true.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s giving me the collywobbles.
I’ll see your Mandrax and raise you two Quaaludes. I think including words for medicines is rather bogus as they generally are sold as brand names (rather than their chemical class) and that varies wildly between markets. Often purchased at a Chemist’s shop in the UK rather than a Pharmacy in the US. (Drug store sounds so blunt).

4 Likes

“Not that far” meaning about 30 miles out, right?

I assure you, the south side of Chicago is swimming in southern soul food restaurants. There’s even a few (excellent!) vegan soul food restaurants.

8 Likes

In the UK a watershed is more usually a divide, especially the point in the evening when it can be assumed that kids are in bed and TV dramas can include swearing.

1 Like

Yes, MikeR mentioned the broadcast watershed, and I had said that the literal meaning of watershed is a divide. It comes from the German word wasserscheide, which means a drainage divide.

1 Like

I’ve learned how to make them, i tried once and had subpar results but the process was easy. I need to try again, i’m hopeful i can make something much nicer next time :smiley:

2 Likes
7 Likes

I stand corrected. My experience is also a good 30+ years out of date, so there’s that, too.

2 Likes

Touché

1 Like

From Wikipedia:

British chemist Humphry Davy, who performed a number of experiments aimed to isolate the metal, is credited as the person who named the element. The first name proposed for the metal to be isolated from alum was alumium , which Davy suggested in an 1808 article on his electrochemical research, published in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society.[112]
[…]
Davy published a chemistry textbook in which he used the spelling aluminum .[118]
[…]
In 1812, British scientist Thomas Young[120] wrote an anonymous review of Davy’s book, in which he proposed the name aluminium instead of aluminum , which he felt had a “less classical sound”.[121] This name did catch on: while the -um spelling was occasionally used in Britain, the American scientific language used -ium from the start.[122]

4 Likes

Ditto as an Australian

2 Likes

Also rheumatic fever (British) vs. mononucleosis (US)

2 Likes

As a USAian, i completely fall into this paradigm.
Got maybe 1 UK word, which i believe is actually Indian food.

2 Likes

Place, well i never knew it was spelt like that, not sure i have ever seen, plaice in the fish and chip shop before, and in my old house in New Brighton on the cost there was quite literally 20 fish and chip shops with in 1/2 mile of my house, being a coastal resort…

1 Like

“goober” - This is why cultural exports are so important

1 Like

Yep i go to Berlin a lot and you wont fine a peshwari naan in any of the German chain Indian’s which seam to be the only ones that i have found, as the people who work in them are not from Peshawar like a lot of the people who came to the UK, as they have actually come from Pakistan, not India, to the UK.

Thou if you ever do go to Berlin then AMRIT which is the chain is well worth a visit the food is very nice, they even have one site, where there is a Chinese next door also branded the same, thou the others i have visited have only been Indian. Thou they are ran as two separate business from what i could see, so no mix and match :frowning:

4 Likes

Yeah, Charlie Stross does this in the Laundry books. It took me a while to notice.

3 Likes