List of words known better by UK people than U.S. people, and vice versa

Plaice and chips is offered but the traditional fish is either cod or haddock, with rock not far behind, skate and chips is another.

Mmmmm! Friday night might have to be curry night.

5 Likes

One UK brand name is Ventolin, which is well known enough to have its own song:

2 Likes

I’m hip to all the UK terms, but I’ve read a lot of 19th century English writers’ stuff, and I read the Guardian UK every day.

1 Like

The only reason I know that word (as an American) is from a drummer joke:

What’s the difference between a drummer and a chiropodist? The chiropodist bucks up your feet.

9 Likes

I learned the word from this show, where one of the main characters is a chiropodist.

2 Likes

I still have some lamb in the freezer, so after all this talk Sunday will be rogan josh day for me

ETA: there must be a topical joke in there somewhere! Something, something, I prefer Josh to Joe: you know, f… you, Joe Rogan, but Rogan Josh is always welcome in my house.

6 Likes

Depends on where you live. Here in NYC we actually have a street lined with Indian restaurants for an entire block in the East Village, not to mention many dozens of others sprinkled around the 5 boroughs and entire ethnic Indian neighborhoods in Manhattan and Queens. For something that you might find no where else, including Britain, come to the borough of Staten Island, which has the largest community of Sri Lankans outside of Sri Lanka, The cuisine is similar but uniquely different than Indian. Common dishes like lamprais, kottu, hoppers, sambols and rotis are fairly unknown elsewhere.

5 Likes

I’ve seen this phrase, and Continental Food, basically used to mean French food but in a more accessible way.

Like European food, but with more fat, salt, and grease.

EtA:

This is basically the curry recipes in Julia Child cookbooks.

4 Likes

Also in Silver Spoon (Itallian) and La bonne Cuisine de Mme E Saint-Ange (french)

1 Like

Correction: someone from Naperville serving up gumbo and grits.

Which is pretty absurd to me, although maybe those of you from out that way know better than me.

Although it could be just the North Side. Chicago has always been very segregated, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the soul food there was noticeably worse (if it even exists) than on the South Side.

Speaking of which, the Indian food on Devon Ave seems authentic to me, but I’ve never been to India.

2 Likes

Ooh, yum indeed. We just had a Sri Lankan place open up down the road from us here in Edinburgh. Only one in the neighbourhood for now, but hopefully the first of more to come one day. I worked momentarily in Sri Lanka and found the food not only delicious but also incredibly approachable for someone coming from a British background. (My brief travels in parts of India did not include such easy introductions as far as the food was concerned. Always interesting and absolutely wonderful, but particularly in Gujurat I was more or less completely at sea when it came to being able to guess what was actually in front of me.)

4 Likes

For authentic Indian sub-continent cuisine, I recommend joining a majority Indian (or Pakistani, Sri Lankan or Bangladeshi) cricket team.

4 Likes

Step 1: learn how to play cricket

5 Likes

I could swear there was an episode of Family Guy wherein Peter says he wanted to be a chiropodist (“this isn’t a joke; I had legitimate aspirations”).

Edit: Found it. Ep 229. He wanted to be a podiatrist. Sorry!

1 Like

I’m in Edinburgh right now for a long weekend! Got any good recos? I’m staying near Calton Hill, and two of the places I tried to go to last night no longer existed.

2 Likes

I would guess that most Brits would understand “dumpster”, especially as the word relates obviously to the use of the object. But would Americans know what a “skip” is (to those Americans reading this, it is a dumpster!).

Also I think rheumatic fever is something altogether different. The British term for mononucleosis (“mono”) is glandular fever

5 Likes

Same brand in the US

1 Like

I played a couple of times (departmental pickup games) when I lived in England. It mainly consisted of standing in a field, with a nice break for tea. Good thing it wasn’t enough to build an appetite, as the sole local Indian restaurant was genuinely awful.

Aye, thon’s likely, right enough.

1 Like

Henderson’s Salad Table - still going strong last I heard. A vegetarian restaurant and wine bar. I worked as a bus-boy there when I was a student.
The Castle is worth a visit. The Botanic Gardens have a Modern Art Gallery in the middle of them. The Museum in Chambers Street is an amazing place. If you like a dander, have a walk around Stockbridge and Dean Village, and walk beside the Water of Leith. Honestly, you can’t throw a stone in the centre of Edinburgh without hitting something worth investigating.

3 Likes