Listen to an audience react to Star Wars for the first time in 1977

I wonder if he threw in any easter eggs?

Funnily enough, the only time I remember a crowd really cheering in the UK was during epi 2, attack of the clones. First night so I guess the fans were in, the bit where Yoda squares up to Dooku. As he pulled his cloak back to reveal his light sabre a few whoops went up. When he flew into battle the place exploded in a massive cheer. I guess we’d had three or four movies telling us what a great warrior he was and here finally, was the proof.

Also, the squeaky capstan on that recording,remember that sound well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

apparently:

‘‘Atirizi inyui mwi hau inyouthe ukai haha,’’ … Loosely translated, the words mean ‘‘What are you doing over there? All of you please come here.’’

from the Christian Science Monitor in 1983, wow: http://www.csmonitor.com/1983/0728/072823.html

6 Likes

Ok, I got the tingles.

The 70s car starting up was a nice touch too.

1 Like

I watched it at the drive-in in Gainesville in a Ford Econoline with a huge bag of weed. We sat through it twice.

that’s awesome.

I was in a movie a few years back where open and enthusiastic applause broke out . . . but damned if I can remember what it was.

(Was it “V for Vendetta,” which at the time it opened seemed so freaking subversive?)

Brought a tear to my eye. Certainly the most powerful endorphin rush cinema has ever delivered for me.

1 Like

Do they not have midnight screenings of the Rocky Horror Picture Show in the UK?

1 Like

I think there MIGHT be a place that does them in London, but generally speaking, no.

It does vary by content and audience.

I went to see Blade Runner:The Final Cut here in Toronto in 2007. One showing only! The theatre was filled only with Ridley Scott geeks and general film geeks. And … there was not a gentle cough, the barest crinkle of a crumpled candy wrapped, or even a whisper of a word being breathed from the start of the the production title card to the final copyright notice. You really could have heard a pin drop in the quiet scenes.

It is possible.

2 Likes

I was 15 in 1977. In those pre-VCR days, I would always sneak a tape recorder into the theatre. I saw Star Wars on opening day in San Francisco. I remember going to see it later at the drive-in just to get a decent audio recording in the boot of a friends Karmann Ghia (I remember having to make some excuse to the guy that pulled up next to us as to why we needed 2 speakers). Later that year, I was recording Capricorn One in a theater in Marin County, and realized George Lucas was sitting behind us. Somewhere I still have a recording of my squeaky 15 year old voice asking for his autograph.

I’m volunteering at a museum running a 9-month Star Wars exhibit. Every time I’m in the gallery and the opening score swells up I have to stop what I’m doing because I get chills and my eyes well up.

2 Likes

I like the applause when the Millenium Falcon shows up. Everyone’s so pleased.

:musical_note:There’s only onnnne Han-Solo!:musical_note:

1 Like

Now that Disney owns Star Wars and not Lucas, I wonder if we can get a decent DVD version of Eps IV/V/VI with Lucas’ horrible re-editing/re-CGIing removed… Seeing the animated Jabba in the Lucas-mangled Episode IV almost made me vomit.

1 Like

I know of another African actor who voiced his lines in a little-known language - he was to respond angrily to a situation; and couldn’t wrap his tongue around the english. Given that in all his off hours he played Nintendo DS, the director just asked him to scream “get your hands off my damn DS!” in his native tongue. Worked well.

A totally needless scene, to boot. The Greedo scene conveyed the same information much more entertainingly.

I actually saw a few moments of that scene with the original human Jabba – a chunky Irish-gangster kind of fellow – unobscured by the laid-over CGI. Lucas’s revisionist version is that he “always” intended Jabba to be a big slug, but I suspect that is bullshit. He was human in the novelization, which was based on early cuts of the movie.

1 Like

Where was that? And what did the audience realize had happened?

But, why? He’s a crowd favorite. People in that theater preferred Data to him?