Listen to DEVO cover Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like a Hole"

Originally published at: Listen to DEVO cover Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like a Hole" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

That is exactly what I would have expected from a Devo cover. Not quite a Leo quality cover, but not bad.

4 Likes

Same thoughts I had. Not great, not bad, but definitely D.E.V.O.

2 Likes

I see what they were going for. They should have let Booji Boy do all the vocals. Or done it as Dove, The Band Of Love. Something tells me this was highly influenced by an executive producer who couldn’t afford to license the NIN version, who probably shoulda hired the Electric Hellfire Club.

2 Likes

The Booji Boy “Money!” is the entirely most charming point of the song.

1 Like

This cover evokes for me 90’s cartoons and the TMNT theme.

1 Like

This is something I enjoy on the instrumental level, but the vocal stuff during the chorus is not for me. But it was always going to be a hard sell for me because there was a good while in high school when I drive around screaming as loud as I could along to the original.

1 Like

This is very [citation needed] but apparently this was an early demo that Devo sent in, not their final version. This got instead of that. The final is supposedly somewhere in their archives and is a lot harder than this goofy-ass pisstake. Though it might still be a goofy-ass pisstake even in its final form for all I know, this IS Devo after all.

3 Likes

Well, that’s my Wonderful Thing™ for today. Thanks!

4 Likes

For more DEVO weirdness, check the Disney cover band DEVO 2.0, which DEVO actually re-recorded all of the music, but with kids singing over it. Mothersbsugh even directed all of their music videos.

DEVO working with Disney is either a massive sellout or the most subversive thing ever. I vote hugely subversive bringing messages of the outsider to the Disney masses.

2 Likes

Required listening: pomDeter - Call Me A Hole - YouTube

1 Like

now I want to see a Buddhist Priest cover:

1 Like

I’ve heard better Nine Inch Nails covers:

1 Like

or DEVOs Cartoon Network Groovies
“go monkey go” the mojo jo jo villian song from the Power Puff Girls series.
that is complete weirdo goodness!

1 Like

Actually that was Casale who directed the Devo 2.0 videos.

1 Like

I’m more partial to Miley’s

and apparently Reznor is too!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.