Striking similarity between David Bowie and cartoon man on Devo album cover

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/15/striking-similarity-between-da.html

1 Like

Sorry, not that similar, merely coincidence.

14 Likes

I see two white guys wearing similar hats.

That’s a striking similarity?

22 Likes

When I first got into Pandora I created a station where I just threw every random unrelated obscure band I liked in the hopes of discovering new and interesting musicians.

Instead it just played David Bowie over and over again.

8 Likes

My Devo story, which I may have posted before…
I used to work for an ad agency that did work for Procter & Gamble, and one of the brands I worked on was Swiffer. The brand manager told us their idea for a commercial: a woman sweeping her kitchen floor while dancing and singing “Swiff it! Swiff it good!” to the tune of Devo’s “Whip It”. We sort of cringed and said that they should contact Devo for the rights, assuming that Devo would tell P&G to go to hell.

A week or so later the brand manager played us a voice mail from Mark Mothersbaugh in which he said he was not only thrilled by the idea but volunteered to record it himself, saying that turning “Whip It” into a song for a floor sweeper was a perfect example of “corporate de-evolution”.

24 Likes

Still, the resemblance here is striking.

MMM Not really. They both have a hat and are smiling. That’s about it.

9 Likes

Or as Les Nessman would say…

10 Likes

The ‘similarity’ is very minor.

6 Likes

I always thought it looked a bit like Bob Dobbs.

9 Likes

May I be the fifth person to point out in this thread how minor the similarity is between these two photos?

Hmm, maybe I should wait awhile. Then I could be the seventh or eighth person!

10 Likes

I liked the rest of them, but I won’t be joining the queue to say …

2 Likes

“Not to go on all-fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men? “Not to suck up Drink; that is the Law. Are we not Men? “Not to eat Fish or Flesh; that is the Law. Are we not Men? “Not to claw the Bark of Trees; that is the Law. Are we not Men? “Not to chase other Men; that is the Law. Are we not Men?”

XII. The Sayers of the Law, The Island of Doctor Moreau.

3 Likes

The guy on the album cover looks more like Tom Brady to me…

3 Likes

Yeah but what about this
Nixon-montana

10 Likes

I always thought the DEVO cover man was the ‘Mongoloid’ guy they sing about. I sure make up a lot of stuff in my head.

2 Likes

I see it, I really do. Does Alex Jones know about this?

2 Likes

Y’all need to get yer eyes checked. The Devo Guy looks nothing like Bowie.

Not really similar imho. I can sort of rationalize the similarity by looking at the various parts of the face, but the total doesn’t really look similar at all.

Welcome to Pandora!

1 Like

The eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth, and jaw are different - otherwise, they are spookily the same!

2 Likes