Unearthing the bizarre connection between Devo and pro golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez

Originally published at: Unearthing the bizarre connection between Devo and pro golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Wow, I had no idea Rodriguez was such a good human being!

13 Likes
14 Likes

Chi Chi sounds like an awesome guy. I remember his name from way back then, but not being a follower of golf or much sports, didn’t know much about him and never knew that was his face on the album cover (which I, of course, owned).

4 Likes

Wikipedia:

The manager of the company’s art department, Rick Serini, recommended an artist who could airbrush and alter the face of the picture, while lead singer Mark Mothersbaugh offered a picture he had procured from a local newspaper that morphed the faces of U.S. presidents John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. These ideas were later morphed with the original image of Rodríguez to create the cover art of the album.[23]

As (relatively) conservative and traditionalist as he was, Chi Chi was cool with President Carter. :+1:

6 Likes

Came here for this. Was not disappointed.

Rodriguez was a class act.

10 Likes

Let’s also not forget that without Mick Jagger’s blessing, we wouldn’t have the Devo cover of (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction on the same album.

9 Likes

i listened to the 99PI piece last night, and Rodriguez’s response was definitely the best part of it. I kept saying his name like Les though, because i carry about a billion WKRP quotes in my head, and i was hoping there’d be a clip or a mention of it from someone, but alas, no.

8 Likes

And he wore a hat. And he had a job.

5 Likes

My dad was a caddy at a upscale country club that has had a PGA event at their course, and caddied for a couple pro golfers who would play the course when they were in town, and the one he said he really remembered was Chi Chi who was a perfect gentleman, and tipped him a $100 (and this was in the late 60s/early 70s when that was real money). Always rooted for him over anyone else when I could remember him watching it on TV (I was around when Chi Chi was on the Senior tour).

7 Likes

Most people who come up from real poverty/working class origins tend to be the ones who are generous to those who are still struggling. I’m not surprised Chi Chi is this way given his story, and it makes him all the more impressive.

6 Likes

The funny thing is that my dad grew up super well off. His dad owned a dozen high-end grocery stores and was a member of the country club my dad caddied at. My dad was just addicted to golf and was/is very good at it (he attended college on a golf scholarship), and caddied there because he just had to be around a course at all times…hell they’re retired and they live a five minute walk from the course he’s a member of.

2 Likes

Came here for this.
rod-regg-weez :smile:

3 Likes

“Because I like to do something good every day of my life, and I want to leave the Earth better than I found it”.

Live life like Chi Chi, people.

7 Likes

The best 99pi in a while

1 Like

Literally read the BB article aloud with Les’ pronunciation! :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.