Listen to noted perv Bob Crane improv an ad for "Man, Oh Manischewitz"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/25/listen-to-noted-perv-bob-crane.html

2 Likes

We disapprove of pervs now? Because I know that wasn’t just clickbait.

4 Likes

Some of my best friends are noted pervs!

7 Likes

His work on that commercial was brilliant, and had nothing to do with his sex life. You perpetuate the old cultural yardsticks.

1 Like

As I recall, “big, luscious and European” is also how Bob liked his many ladies. No wonder he could sell this.

1 Like

I remember in the late '70s after Bob Crane had died and his various sexual predilictions were coming to light. I mentioned it to a friend and his reply was “What makes him a pervert? Everybody’s a pervert! I’m a huge pervert!”

He really was, too.

5 Likes

Pervert might not be the best word. Promiscuity is fine provided everyone involved understands the risks. Lying to a partner you’ve committed to monogamy with is when it becomes reckless endangerment of heart and health.

6 Likes

If I recall correctly he also filmed some of the women having sex with him without their knowledge (among other creepy stuff). That’s when it crosses the line from “consenting adults doing their own thing” into “sex criminal” territory.

7 Likes

As an aside, my former housemate’s nephew’s girlfriend played the first girl to bang William DeFoe’s character in Auto Focus, so there’s my Kevin Baconesque connection to Bob Crane.

5 Likes

Agreed. I don’t know much about Bob Crane, but that’s a violation of consent.

I should probably see the movie. I love William DeFoe.

2 Likes

What do you have to do to be a noted perv these days?

1 Like

Watch some of my pal Christeene’s music videos for a taste.

3 Likes

I’d like to add this to the round:

2 Likes

I saw it and remember it as ending up being both sanctimonious and prurient about Crane’s behavior. But it’s also possible my memory of it is fuzzy because I had too much Manischewitz that night.

3 Likes

The film actually downplayed a lot of the bisexual stuff Crane was into. When asked why he didn’t go there writer/director Paul Schrader was honest enough to respond with something along the lines of “I could make up excuses for why I didn’t put that in the film but the truth is probably just that it still makes me a little uncomfortable.”

6 Likes

Be the first President with a piss tape, of course!

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s an example of something along the lines of the whiffs of sanctimony that I detected in the movie’s overall approach. As for its more prurient moments, the one that sticks out to me depicts the two male leads jerking off together while watching films they’ve made of their sexual exploits – which may have been sanctimonious at the same time.

Meh, the whole movie seemed muddled to me in terms of just what it had to say about Crane, his sex life, and his downfall.

1 Like

I just wish I could still get Manichewitz Almonetta. Sammy Davis Jr. sold me on it.

Fly a GDPR-compliant whips-and-chains drone into consent, install excess mirrors in a desert, and be recognized by the color fountains turn where you travel.

5 Likes