Listen to the new Vice podcast all about the science of DUNE

Originally published at: Listen to the new Vice podcast all about the science of DUNE | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I still want a Weirding Module. For Xmas would be fine…

4 Likes
3 Likes

9 Likes

Giant worms swimming through sand would create so much frictional heat that the sand would melt and fuse into glass. People leaping from planet to planet would still be subject to relativity. Leap to a planet 100 light years away and back, you would find that everyone you knew had died of old age. The science in Dune is negligible, it is a swords and sorcery fantasy.

2 Likes

The handwave given to FTL travel aside (though the worldbuilding done around navigating FTL travel in an age without computers is excellent), I think Dune doesn’t stray quite as far from plausible science as other pure fantasy sci-fi like Star Wars does. As for the worms, there’s something that shows up in the new movie that I don’t recall from the books or the old movie that goes a long way to giving an explanation for how the sandworms are able to ‘swim’ in sand. Spoilers for Dune 2021: It appears there’s some sort of rapid vibration being given off by the worms that makes the sand act more like a liquid than a solid.

2 Likes

Having read only the first book and watched the new movie I’m limited in my understanding of the Dune universe as a whole, but I respect the higher percent of science in this fiction. Sure there are things like magic water induced consciousness sharing, but for every one of those it seems there are two or 3 other major plot points based in at least theoretical science.

I still listen to this album. Always takes me back to those early 90’s raving days.

2 Likes

gbfCC5U

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Does the podcast cover the chemistry of the Spice and how it stop aging ?
I getting to the point I need to know that .

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.