Listen to the original "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" sung by Robert Hazard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/10/listen-to-the-original-girls.html

8 Likes

It must be disappointing when your original compositions sounds like a bad cover of the cover version.

12 Likes

I honestly thought you were having us on at first.

2 Likes

Wow, I thought Lauper’s voice was annoying.

6 Likes

Sorry, no. I happen to have it on good authority that girls just wanna have lunch.

11 Likes

“Girls just awanna, just awanna”

5 Likes

She also turned Atlanta’s The Brains’ “Money Changes Everything” into a hit.

3 Likes

No idea this was a cover. Wows. I do still like Lauper’s version, but that’s cuz I grew up in the 80s.

4 Likes

My favorite cover by far is from Greg Laswell
Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/3Qy9NQhUhXKQFXWEBjm4UI?si=Ce7lhRLwSbq-K-IEcxj4Dg

It puts a melancholy twist on it. I know, overdone by many movie trailers etc, but I still love the effect.

1 Like

Neat! Sounds like a bad impression of Elvis Costello.
Hers comes off as literal fun, while his is like, “I can be out banging everything in sight, and it’s justifiable because girls just wanna have fun.”

7 Likes

It’s not that different to the original.
Not as different as this, which I find strangely compelling, somehow.

3 Likes

I like the punkish sound to this version. Reminds me of a lot of early eighties bands like the Buzzcocks.

8 Likes

Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock and Roll” was also a cover. Here’s the original:

7 Likes

I think autocorrect’s had some fun with your post. Shouldn’t that read Cyndi Lauper?

:wink:

[/pedant]

What? I’ve been a fan of hers from the first album… okay, okay, I’ll see myself out.

6 Likes

Little known fact: Robert Hazard’s version never moved beyond this demo because he was caught he-bopping outside a club on the sunset strip.

[Can we at least agree there’s the making of a joke here?]

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of the cover of Summer Breeze:

3 Likes

I was literally listening to this yesterday

1 Like

The verse had a Monster-Mash quality. But then all US-punky.

Not certain it is, technically speaking. I always think of a cover as a new version of a publicly released tune. I don’t think a song writing demo counts as a release.

8 Likes

4 Likes