Listen to 4 punk songs from a 1979 Madonna demo

Originally published at: Listen to 4 punk songs from a 1979 Madonna demo | Boing Boing

6 Likes

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ She even had a SKA song with her band Emmy and the Emmys ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

7 Likes

You may also enjoy this decidedly new wave Cyndi Lauper demo for Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

6 Likes

wow, I had no idea. the first one is definitely a winner.
I came across this album in the used tape section of the music store I went to in highschool. I only gave it a second look because I was a fan of the movie of the same name

apparently this is the same group after some lineup changes, according to wiki they scored a hit but I didn’t recognize the title.

the early Madonna I was familiar with was her collaboration with producer Jellybean Benitez on an album he put out. it’s most notable to me for the cover art, a picture of pieces by legendary graffiti crew United Artists

Madonna is credited as the writer and background vocals, but the lead vocalist is someone else. it’s pretty obvious when it’s Madonna singing:

1 Like

That first track definitely had me stunned. The rest of the songs were more along the lines of what I expected, but that first one had some serious hardcore punk energy.

And then there’s the very deconstructed Cyndi Lauper ‘Time After Time’ by Miles Davis… Holy Jesus can’t imagine it was more fun than tension in his band!

1 Like

the guy who wrote the tune only recorded it as a demo; I didn’t know about this early version by Cyndi but it’s much more faithful to the original. I’m glad she woodsheded it into the album version. I like the original but it’s not right for Lauper in that form

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.