Listen to your favorite songs, forever, on the Eternal Jukebox

Originally published at: Listen to your favorite songs, forever, on the Eternal Jukebox | Boing Boing

1 Like

I think it must’ve been around 1987 when a local Richmond radio station suddenly fired ALL its on-air staff. To publicize their new classic rock format, they ran a loop of the Stones’ “Satisfaction” for about a week, with a voice saying “The new 102: Satisfaction Guaranteed!” after every third or fourth repetition. It being finals week at VCU, I was spending a lot of time cramming in the Honors Lounge, where we pretty much kept that station on all week just to be ornery. I learned a lot about that song, including: I never got tired of it.

1 Like

It’s a favourite radio stunt.

There are also rumours and urban legends about renegade DJs locking themselves in the booth and playing the same song over and over again in protest or as a gag. As I recall the one in L.A. was about someone on KHJ in the early 70s doing it.

2 Likes

When I was 16 I worked 11 am to 7 pm on the weekends in an all night restaurant, they had a jukebox.

Have A Drink On Me, AC/DC was played non stop when the bar crowd came in. I still remember those nights/mornings.

My favorite bit about a jukebox.

7 Likes

Oh wow, glad you enjoyed the link! And thanks for the research - I enjoyed learning all that about the Jukebox.

I ran into the “short loop” problem too. Sometimes that can be nice, like when a repetitive lead-in gets played longer and there’s more anticipation…but in the song that never ends, it’d sometimes just sing “This is the song song song song that never ends!” In the “Tune” button, there’s an option to only allow “long jumps,” and I find that really helps mitigate the problem. And I really enjoy that if you change the Tune settings from the default, it alters the URL, so when you share it others get to experience the tuning that you dialed in.

4 Likes

Thanks!
Sound interesting, I think I’ll try some tracks by Philip Glass, the results could be quite trippy.

Tested it with my favorite love song (I want to tell you something - Jenny Hval) but never getting to the final is terribly unsatisfying.

In the meantime, in you honor, your avatar’s song, which OTOH sounds well suited to the treatment!

1 Like
2 Likes

If I listen to my own song forever do you think I will get enough plays to make a fraction of a cent on spotify?

1 Like

:heart: I was pleasantly surprised at how well some Dry Cleaning tracks work in the Jukebox. I didn’t listen long so as not to burn out on it though.

Tracks I’ve had fun with:
Wonderwall
Sir Duke
Sundown (particularly good IMO, but I just had it get stuck at the end like i hadn’t seen before)
Paint it, Black (not the cleanest jumps, but funny)
Sandstorm (obligs)

With music, I get a lot of enjoyment from the anticipation of a change in the song pattern. I like that this tool subverts that - changes where they weren’t expected, or the pattern changing to something other than anticipated, gives me a little jump of surprise.

4 Likes

How long before this gets baked into my phone’s SoC with “AI” so I can do this to any music I have? Seriously, this is the AI I need.

Next generation I can give it a handful of songs and it creates a whole new song and infinite loops it.

1 Like

For some reason, this reminds me of Tyres

I know what I’m using it for

In the corner of the bar there stands a jukebox
With the best of country music, old and new
You can hear your five selections for a quarter
And somebody else’s songs when yours are through

I got good Kentucky whiskey on the counter
And my friends around to help me ease the pain
'Til some button-pushing cowboy plays that love song
And here I am just missing you again

Please Mr. please, don’t play B-17

1 Like

One on-air protest that I remember:

The station had a bit of a WKRP moment:

Listeners said the commotion caused by employees pounding on the studio door and using the drill Thursday could be heard clearly during the broadcast.

2 Likes
1 Like

I think I broke it

3 Likes

Oh my goodness - that’s a rabbit hole that I must not let take over my day! :grin:

Popped in my fave tune of the moment, Aimee Caught A Moth by Another Sky. I love the visualiser:

it makes some really interesting - and usually quite seamless - loop jumps. But as it gets near the, ahem, ‘climax’ of the song, it feels a bit like what I imagine tantric sex is like - you get close but never quite there! :rofl:

ETA: Oh wow, just noticed - happy 10th cake day to me! :cake:

1 Like

The band in heaven
They play my favourite song
They play it once again
Play it all night long

1 Like

Totally off-topic and irrelevant but for reasons I can’t quite put my finger on (/s) that immediately made me think of this.

Also a good existential scream track for when the timeline gets too much.
I’d hate to hear what the Eternal Jukebox would do with this (and I can’t afford a rabbit-hole right now).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.