Literal music video interpretation of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/06/literal-music-video-interpreta.html

1 Like

That was oddly Shakespearean.

4 Likes

When Wayne’s World came out, I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was a recent song and was Freddie Mercury talking about getting HIV and dying from the disease. I thought the man he “shot” was himself and it was a metaphor for contracting a sexually transmitted disease. And then the rest was about pleading with the universe to not allow that to be the story of his life and death.

2 Likes

Well, it wasn’t.

4 Likes

I know. I was thinking: “This is better than Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet.”

3 Likes

Well, that was not spectacularly literal, but I liked that they used a male lead that looked kind of like Freddie Mercury, and the synchronized gunfire/percussion was a nice touch.

I was actually expecting something more like the Total Eclipse of the Heart literal video I guess there’s not much to work with in the official Queen BR video, though, it’s mostly just dramatically lit clips of Queen’s Big Hair period.

5 Likes

I’ll let my 12 year old self know he was wrong. He’ll probably just go back to chatting on Compuserve about Star Wars.

9 Likes

And another one bites the dust.

3 Likes

Lee Evans got there years ago (sorry, best quality I could find).

2 Likes

I noted early on that he was not, literally, caught in a landslide.

7 Likes

Reminds me of the early days of MTV, when so many videos were literal or near literal interpretations of the lyrics. Quick example is The Pretenders’ Brass in Pocket (a band I like, but it’s hard not to roll your eyes at a lot of this).

2 Likes

That was different! I was expecting something more like

or

1 Like

When I read literal music video, this was more what I was expecting:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f03d464867/total-eclipse-of-the-heart-literal-video-version-original?cc=m&_ccid=e048005a-a87a-46c9-98d9-f3e6908dc5b3

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.