Little girl is sad because she doesn't want her cute baby brother to grow up

[Permalink]

1 Like

My wife has the same reaction to her nephew.

Iā€™m sad I grew up. Every. Single. Day.

8 Likes

Sheā€™s on Tom Waitsā€™ wavelength
Seems like folks turn into things
That theyā€™d never want
The only thing to live for
Is today

Is there a word for nostalgia for a time not yet passed? I often experience that bittersweet buzz.

1 Like

Saudade comes close.

2 Likes

Fuckinā€™ A. I remember on my seventh birthday deciding I didnā€™t want to get any older. By god, I was right.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a German one, I think. @retepslluerb? Can you help out?

How I feel when I hear people use phrases like ā€œthem feelsā€.

Being immature keeps me young.

1 Like

Is this going to be forever?

Learning about transience as a kid can be great news or horrifying news.

ā€¦Yeah, yeah missy. Letā€™s see how you feel when heā€™s 10 and you are 15ā€¦

6 Likes

I think we all lament the inexorable passage of time every now and then.

What I gather reading the Wiki: saudade could be described as a kind of intense bitter-sweet grief?

I was trying to get my youngest to do something a while ago - eat breakfast, or brush teeth, or sumfink - and rhetorically asked ā€˜donā€™t you want to grow up?ā€™ I had no good answer when the response was ā€˜no, I just want to stay a little kidā€™, so the task was left uncompleted. As I recall we went off and played a game together instead.

6 Likes

My kid was a horrible baby. It was a relief when he turned one.

This is why it is good I donā€™t have children. I thought she was annoying as all hell. Obviously spoiled to the point of simplemindedness. Made me angry at her parents. Borderline child abuse, done to make a video.

3 Likes

I donā€™t feel quite that severely, but it made me realize I am on the right path with the not having of children, and alsoā€¦ I never remember thinking babies were that cute. So her reaction is so, sincere, that it makes me realize just how not ā€œnormalā€ I must have been.
My mom asked me once whether I wanted a little brother or sister and I said ā€œNo. I want a big brother instead.ā€

I also told her there was no point in my worrying about being old as we would probably all die in war or natural disaster anyway.

I was a chipper kid.

Itā€™s probably good that I have gotten more mature, as I have learned to enjoy life a little more than I could when I was 7.

As far as child abuse, from what I can tell kids sob and cry nearly constantly so why not film it so that people can laugh?

2 Likes

One might call her ā€œchildish,ā€ even.

Of course, she is a child. Whatā€™s your excuse, Grumpy-Pants?

10 Likes

But isnā€™t youth wasted on the young?

1 Like