Little kid saved from potential escalator tragedy

Originally published at: Little kid saved from potential escalator tragedy | Boing Boing

2 Likes
6 Likes

Gahan Wilson addressed this issue decades ago.

3 Likes

Poor kid!

2 Likes

I try to play it cool, but my heart rate still goes up when I reach the end of an escalator or moving walkway.

4 Likes

They make me nervous too, because I’ve seen accidents on them. One involved a man who fell with his suitcase, and couldn’t get back up. I was higher up on the same escalator, and no one else was around. The emergency button is usually on either end - so not in a place either one of us could reach it. Fortunately, he finally managed to push his bag and roll off, rather than continuing to struggle. Otherwise, my suitcase and I would’ve been caught up in it, too. The other thing that worries me with kids on those things is loose shoelaces - a real recipe for disaster/severe injury.

5 Likes

Welp. Looks like I’m having nightmares tonight.

1 Like

Just imagine everybody wearing loafers, and riding without incident from end to end. That’s what I do to keep the flashbacks away! :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

I used to have a fear of my shoelaces getting caught and then being sucked into the workings of the escalator. This was after being warned about this on a freaky old wooden escalator in the less visited parts of the downtown Marshall Fields.

Same same. I love the engineering of them and enjoy riding them, but they still make me the tiniest bit nervous. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.