Livable Cities

4 Likes

Wow, go Hoboken! Thanks for posting this - I plan to share it with local pols who are working on planning in my area. It was also great to see something to counter all those Penguins of Madagascar jokes about the city. :wink:

The planning issue raised in the DW article is an important factor. They’re having a hard time getting office workers back into some cities because many supporting businesses closed during the pandemic. Fewer amenities and facilities run down due to lack of use aren’t appealing. The syndrome of areas being deserted after business hours is one of the reasons zoning reform needs to be a big part of these projects.

8 Likes
9 Likes
4 Likes

Little Italy on Chicago’s near west side was about 53% Black and 46% Italian and Greek (this was back when Mediterranean heritage was not considered white), and the same thing happened.

Some good interactives in this piece:

6 Likes

But can they pull it off? To be honest, the prospects look dim. For one thing, no private group has built a city from scratch since…I’m not sure when.

Fordlandia comes to mind…
And, for some reason, Albert Speer and Charles-Édouard Jeanneret.

2 Likes
5 Likes

And Elisabeth Förster-Nietzsche’s Nueva Germania…

2 Likes

Why has the ‘15-minute city’ taken off in Paris but become a controversial idea in the UK?

… today’s conservatives are against anything liberals like, no matter what it is

It hasn’t been about facts for a long time, but now it’s not even about ideology either :confused:

8 Likes

Okay… Decatur is fine and all, but how we gonna trust a list that puts THE VILLAGES as the no. 1 place to live in America… I’m calling bullshit. I mean, Decatur and Asheville have got to be better than the fucking villages… a friend was there recently, and said it was kind of artificial and fucking weird. Decatur and Ashville are neither of those things (well, okay, they are weird in a GOOD way).

6 Likes

The Villagesis number one with randy, old, yt pipo into key parties with the neighbors. “friendliest town”? only if your golf cart has “white power” bumper stickers and an oversized “trump won” or “let’s go brandon” flag.
:face_vomiting:

6 Likes

From last year, but still an interesting discussion on the ATL Beltline…

4 Likes

Can MARTA be improved? Some guy thinks so…

I’ve been wanting them to put a line out to our suburban community, as it’s directly east of the last stop (which is about a 30-40 minute drive depending on traffic). But the until recently white dominated suburbs keep voting that down and instead depending on county bus service (which my county has been expanding, with stops to the MARTA station).

7 Likes

An interesting report on progress in Brandevoort, a town created in the Netherlands:

Here’s background from five years ago:

7 Likes

Not sure whether this is the best place for this:

The missus got knocked off her bike on the way to work this morning while she was on a bike path. SUV driver made a right on red and didn’t watch out for cyclists on the path, and clobbered into her. Even with a short amount of acceleration the SUV knocked her into the middle of the road.

She’s fine but the bike is wrecked. SUV had a massive dent and gouge in the hood, but fuck’m. Driver offered to give her a ride somewhere but her bike wouldn’t fit in the SUV (which shows how useless they are) so she had to push/drag it home.

Thankfully the traffic wasn’t heavy or this story would be a lot worse.

15 Likes

Glad she’s OK. That driver needs to be charged with something more than a ticket. :rage:

11 Likes

Whoa. That’s horrible. Glad it wasn’t worse. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

(Still, that’s a mild concussion. And a shock. Maybe a check-up just to be on the safe side and a bit of a rest anyway?)

8 Likes

Coincidentally she was on her way to work at the Hospital. She got checked out and just has some bruises.

10 Likes

Oh, good! I forgot she works at a hospital…

6 Likes

Offering a lift to your victim is basically an insult. It’s a driving violation and insurance info should have been offered so that the insurance company would pay for any medical expenses and replacing the bike.

At least it sounds like he didn’t leave the scene of an accident, but he did cause that accident, and inflicted damage.

8 Likes