Livable Cities

Archive Link

6 Likes

16 Likes

One reason drunk driving was/is so prevalent in America is the refusal to have bars in walkable distance from homes combined with suburbs where driving is the only allowed option.

7 Likes

I know road deaths are higher than in many countries but I don’t know enough about it. I do know that media representation in shows of bars in the middle of nowhere that everyone drives to and drinks whiskey are prevalent. You couldn’t even have that in a show here because the story would be the drunk driver. It would be like putting a gun on the table in act one as Checkov put it.

5 Likes

It’s not like people just started drinking and driving recently. People have been driving drunk since cars were invented. More recently “drunk driving” was identified as a problem, but everybody who drinks and drives thinks the problem is someone else.

Actually taking steps to stop it would be so disruptive to the economy that elected officials are unwilling to do it — imagine if it were illegal to have parking anywhere near a bar :thinking:

5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

More on reinventing cities, with community input on walkable, sustainable, and affordable options:

8 Likes
7 Likes

I have resided in and around some notable North and Central American urban sites: Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Boston, Ciudad Mexico, Antigua Guatemala, and more. The most ‘livable’ IMHO were those with large parks near the populated zones. Small, walkable urban cores and inexpensive mass transit help, too.

13 Likes

chicago illinois GIF

8 Likes
7 Likes

They’re making me drive a car!

This asshole has been doing this for a while. I’d managed to forget about him until I saw this today. I’m pretty sure I got in an actual argument with him way back in the day when I say on a city committee (nothing major, neighborhood representative. We could say things and even vote, but both could be ignored)

4 Likes

A sort of spiritual sequel to the 2019 video “Curing Spokane,” which depicted a city suffering from rampant crime and blamed, in part, public transportation, “The Disaster on Division” and a series of accompanying videos squarely targets buses and changes to roadways for hurting the city.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like
3 Likes
8 Likes

Just talking about this on the plane with a pilot who was traveling to the airport he would be flying passengers from.

And then he started mansplaining the economy and business to me and I decided that was a great time to start my downloaded shows!

3 Likes

I’ve never heard this term before

Maybe it skipped the U.S.

7 Likes

Lately I’ve come to think of these as “Waze shortcuts.”

2 Likes