Live-action Cowboy Bebop trailer

I have gotten a free soda at a gas station once.

“Is that Ein?”

“It is Ein!” And then I note all the shown ephemera on the shirt from the show. (Spike and Faye’s guns, Jet’s Bonsai Tree, Eds Goggles, the rose, the astrological chart, etc)

“That’s all you’re getting, the soda? You can just have it.”

“Uh, thanks!”

6 Likes

Tangentially related: I’m currently on my second attempt at watching the original anime series. I’m three episodes in and … I don’t get it.

Everywhere I see people saying what a great classic series this is. And I like anime, a lot. There are frequently periods where I watch nothing but anime. But CB just isn’t clicking with me.

Do I need to give it a few more episodes? Is there something I’m missing? Should I try the sub rather than the dub? Or is it just a taste thing, and I’m simply not a Cowboy Bebop person?

3 Likes

I never have high hopes for live-action remakes, but the casting and the general vibe of the trailer are encouraging. This has definitely brightened my day!

Maybe? Like a lot of anime, it starts with a premise (two bounty hunters, bad at their jobs, trying to make money) and it builds up on that before diverting into a deeper plot line.

I dunno, man, it is one of my favorite anime still. Maybe because it was an early one where I saw the whole series? Maybe something else? I would encourage you to watch the whole thing, it is only 26 episodes.

I think it has excellent styles, great action, good comedy, and the characters all become very endearing.

But maybe it just isn’t your taste. Or maybe your expectations went in high due to word of mouth and now you are like, “This is just ok.”

Anyway - good luck out there, Space Cowboy.

10 Likes

Well, I gave up on Steins;Gate after a few episodes the first time I tried to watch it, and that’s now a strong contender for my personal GOAT anime, so I’ll take your advice and carry on with Cowboy Bebop. Thank you.

ETA: one thing I have enjoyed so far is the slow realisation that Spike may be an amiable, laidback dude with questionable taste in haircuts, but he is also one of the most dangerous people you could fear to meet.

2 Likes

Oh right thanks! I had seen Dark season 1 & 2 and then killed my subscription.
Giri/Haji looks interesting, not what I would usually watch but maybe that is a good reason to try :wink:

1 Like

download (26)

1 Like

I’m picturing the map of any trip led by Radical Edward as looking an awful lot like an old “dotted line” Family Circus comic strips. You may get to where you wanted to go, but you’ll have all sorts of adventures along the way.

Hopefully Ein could keep her (somewhat) focused.

2 Likes

Definitely stick with it, the episodes vary between funny/sad/action or some combination of them so it may be difficult to get a grasp on the whole with just a few episodes.

Also, the Japanese voice acting is superb, if you’re okay with reading subtitles. The English dub is…fine.

3 Likes

Probably referencing the fact that particularly toxic fans of shows have a real difficult time separating the actor from the role, and tend to light actors on fire for participating in a role they don’t like. Even, or maybe especially, if they’re kids and/or female. See: Jake Lloyd, Kelly Marie Tran

Or maybe the other side of the toxic fan coin, where they like the role, and by extension the actor, too much. Even, or maybe especially, if they’re kids and/or female. See: all the creepy things people say to and about underage actors. My wife and I left the Q&A with Millie Bobbie Brown at Indy Comic Con a few years ago when every questions was either 13-year olds asking for her phone number or adult men telling her she’s beautiful and asking if she ever makes out with her costars. WTF??

3 Likes

Interesting. I’ve seen it touted as one of the few series where the dub is superior to the original, so that’s what I’ve been watching. However, I’m perfectly comfortable with subtitles, and if you’re saying the Japanese is better, maybe I should switch to that.

1 Like

I tend to watch most things in the original language with subtitles anyway, and I particularly like Cowboy Bebop’s Japanese casting. I’ve watched the whole series and movie about 5 times so far since 1999, so I’m also really used to the voices.

3 Likes

Yikes! It sounds like they need to maybe take questions on note cards, weed out the creeps, and have a presenter ask the questions. I have taken my kid to comic con and a couple Brony Cons and thankfully aside from few awkward fans, nothing egregious like that. The biggest facepalm was asking Jason Issacs about the new Star Trek after saying repeatedly, don’t ask questions about it. (MLP Side Note - Tabitha St. Germain is a treasure and super engaging with young fans. Site Note Two - we managed to get the autographs of the Mane Six, made easier as two actresses do double duty, so a total of 4 actresses do the voices.)

I kinda like the dub. I like Steve Blum’s voice and think he does well. Though I think I did do a watch through of the season with subs once.

I know some will brand me a heretic, but I prefer dubs because it allows me to focus more on the visuals. Though I sometimes have subs on as well (which is annoying when the subs are translations of the original show, and transcripts of the English Dub.)

1 Like

I find the make or break point is episode 5 or 6. Generally people are in or out completely by then. The dual vibe of laid back, but dangerous largely grows and all of the other characters grow into their roles as the series progresses. It finishes strong enough that some of the weaker early episodes are retroactively improved by the themes they tie into on a rewatch.

3 Likes

Meh, I think this is more a case of de gustibus non est disputandum. There’s no denying that some dubs are very, very good (Steins;Gate, Psycho-Pass, and Attack on Titan, I’m looking at you).

Well I should say, to be fair, some dubs are really bad and distracting.

2 Likes

Pounded in the Butt by a Live Action Remake of a Beloved Anime

7 Likes

I hope we get Ed eventually, but I can live without them showing up. I just love the humor so far. It fits the anime well.

4 Likes

Don’t forget the music! (which Netflix seems to have at least had the foresight to realize was a necessary part of the experience)

6 Likes

Yes!! I broke out into a nice big grin when I realized they decided to keep the intro music I know and love.

2 Likes