LIVE: Watch the Trump Impeachment Hearings

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/04/live-watch-the-trump-impeachm.html

4 Likes

I’m trying, but these R stall tactics are killing me.

Just now getting to questions.

5 Likes

The pace of the impeachment hearings mean that the popcorn-eating gif I was going for seems far too rapid. There. This fits much better.

The bottom line remains the same; brick by brick they are building a solid case, so as the writing on the wall gets filled in, embellished, highlighted and finally lit with 10,000 watt spots, any Republican complaints will fall on fewer ears.

14 Likes

17 Likes

YMMV but I’m pleasantly surprised with how well this seems to be going. I was prepared for this to be a train wreck of Democrats being too clever by half, but everyone seems to have a sensible plan in mind.

Also, law professors are not used having to be persuasive and instead spend a lot more time with captive audiences whose futures depend on agreeing with them, but these folks are transitioning pretty well to an audience who isn’t necessarily in their thrall.

9 Likes

Whatever their classroom approach might be, I don’t imagine too many law professors haven’t spent some time learning how to argue for a position.

7 Likes

Were you to learn today that Trump had in fact threatened a governor in exactly this way, would you be at all surprised?

2 Likes

So, the republican argument is down to this is happening too fast…

5 Likes
1 Like

Fixed that for you.

7 Likes

Oh, for sure, and I’m painting with an extremely broad brush here and obviously the examples today demonstrate the converse of what I was talking about, but most folks who interact with law professors would probably agree that they are…ahem…sometimes if not often become a bit more comfortable lecturing others than having their positions critiqued by those with the power to tell them when to begin and end their argument. To the extent that’s unfair to any law professors, I offer my apologies.

1 Like

This is it. It’s really over for Trump now.

I’d hope so, but sadly it’s still far from certain.

1 Like

How so?

Serms to me that the Senate will dismiss it all into the same Failed Attempt to Dump Trump memory hole that the Mueller Report disappeared into. Trump may well emerge from this stronger than ever.

5 Likes

A strong possibility, I hate to say…

3 Likes

Literally what people have been saying ever since the first horrible days of his gaffe-ridden campaign, especially after the Access Hollywood recording.

Which is not to say we should give up, just that we shouldn’t get too confident that any particular revelation is actually going to take him down just because it’s bad enough to destroy the career prospects of any other politician in American history.

4 Likes

Possible, but IMO not likely. The election results in 2018 and 2019 strongly suggest that the Republicans are in for a lot of hurting in 2020, and considering how Trump’s EC win was founded on razor-narrow wins in a few crucial states, the odds are he’s going to lose.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed. A lot also depends of course on who the Dems nominate. I think Biden would excite far fewer folks to come out and vote than either Sanders or Warren.

2 Likes

On the other hand, Biden would probably motivate far fewer folks to come out and vote against him than either Sanders or Warren. :slight_smile:

(Anyway, I’m frustrated that we need to be talking and thinking about how “exciting” the Dem candidate is. Voting should not be a thing you do only when excited; that’s an attitude that leads to people wanting unicorns and refusing to vote for a pony, so that you instead get a tire fire and a swift kick in the head. Trump should be more than enough to excite people to vote for the Democrat!)

Those people already reliably vote for Republicans. They’re just in it for the tax cuts, but they’re ok with the bigotry, too. It’s an illusion that they might vote for a Dem, or that they will stay home because Trump says the quiet part out loud.

What Sanders and Warren represent that’s exciting to people who otherwise don’t vote is that finally someone’s looking out for workers rather than one flavor of rich asshole or the other.

2 Likes