WATCH: Trump Impeachment Hearings, William Taylor and George Kent testify before House Intelligence

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/13/watch-trump-impeachment-heari.html

4 Likes

PBS news hour version as well:

8 Likes

giphy

22 Likes

that republican opening statement :rage: I hope nunes hangs with trump some day.

25 Likes

The President’s Article II powers supersede the Constitution that authorizes them?

23 Likes
19 Likes

That pretty much sums it up. Also makes it possible to say “we heard nothing that would change our opinions.”

13 Likes

People are criticizing Gym Jordan’s casual outfits. Could it be that he wants that look so he doesn’t look out of place in a high school locker room after work?
Just wondering.

9 Likes

Some days, I really love this country.

20 Likes

"Let loose the bowels of trumpian treason."

Excellent. For the record (and proven over and over again in my own posts), I declare that I am a huge fan of analogizing politics with references to disgusting bodily functions. I absolutely love it; for me, it’s a way of… purging myself of built-up frustration and enmity. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Overall the hearings seemed to go like:

Democrat: Please state the facts
Witness: Here are the facts
Republican: But what about this insane conspiracy theory?

28 Likes

running these hearings like a trial, with opposing advocates challenging each other’s versions of events, misleads the public about what impeachment is – by the time we get to the real trial, everybody will be prematurely exhausted with the allegations, the witnesses, and the process

the impeachment process should be modeled as closely as possible on a federal grand jury

what we’re hearing on the radio doesn’t sound much like a grand jury

3 Likes

Impeachment is unique and “should” not be like anything other than what it actually is.

3 Likes

But then where would the trial happen? In the Senate? The Senate leadership will argue that it is not their job to prosecute.

2 Likes

yes, that is exactly how it is supposed to work

it’s in the constitution even

10 Likes

Much as I enjoy the livestreams and drag tweets, can anybody recommend a site that produces shorter digests of the hearings so far?

1 Like

I hear his cows are plotting against him.

7 Likes

Listening to a career diplomat talk about the srandards of that work, what is normal and what isnt… I definitely get the impression that as a heavy hitter on the world stage, the US has been called upon to interact with governments that are pretty corrupt. The boy scout in me wants to believe that those countries become slightly less corrupt after interacting with “the good guys”. But even if all you want to do is run a global empire, it’s no good letting your employees play personal games with the assets they’ve been entrusted to handle.

When the republicans try to obfuscate with, “Biden doesnt look good here, lets not forget how slimy these people are” they really arent helping their case any. It makes it look like Trump becomes more corrupt as he comes in contact with all these bad hombres.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I’m guessing that they don’t trust that process will be followed in the Senate, so this might be their only shot.

5 Likes