Lizzo vs The Aristocats

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/03/eva-vs-lizzo.html

7 Likes

Lizzo? Yes please!

Posted elsewhere, but totally worth re-posting here:

18 Likes

Well done. Here is my favorite of this genre.

2 Likes

She’s great, but do we need to cast shade on dead performers who were just paying their mortgages? As far as I know, the Gabor sisters aren’t guilty of any heinous deeds requiring posthumous shaming. Are they?

Maybe not heinous, but someone ought to answer for Green Acres.

Mimi Pond did a great piece about Zsa Zsa’s estate sale:

4 Likes

:musical_note: Everybody, everybody... wants to be... Lizzo.

14 Likes

Maybe we can’t all be Lizzo, but we can at least try to be 100% that bitch

13 Likes

And then there was this classic (again, nothing to do with Eva):

2 Likes

10 Likes

This is my introduction to Lizzo (adding her to my Spotify), but I tell you…if I could just hang on to that beautiful Zsa Zsa purr also, I’ll be happy.

1 Like

Speaking of Zsa Zsa, still one of my favorite YouTube videos…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOlrJxlZbIc

2 Likes

Full Version

also this fairytale of eternal economic growth, we’ll be watching you

5 Likes

Green Acres was a resonant commentary on the urban/rural divide. Wasn’t it?

2 Likes

That’s Eva. Maybe she borrowed her purr from Zsa Zsa, but they probably each had their own.

4 Likes

As a kid, watching The Rescuers and The Aristocats, I just thought of the characters she played as elegant and sophisticated with funny cartoony vocal tics. It’s interesting to think that, to my parents, the Gabors were such real-life cartoon characters that it probably felt like stunt casting at the time.

3 Likes

Well, part of that is how people had an exoticised take at the time on what a Hungarian accent meant.

Especially after the wartime collapse of the European/German film industries made everybody used to a critical mass of fleeing actors and other talented people showing up to Hollywood with “elegant” European accents.

Outside of some exceptions, I’m trying to think how much that happens today? I don’t know if people fetishize accents as deeply as when people like the Gabors were around. Obviously people still have accents, but I don’t know if as many celebrities are as deeply associated with them over their other talents, nowadays. Hmm.

My little conspiracy theory is that Prince is alive and wrote/performed the guitar solo in Lizzo’s “Boys”

2 Likes

This has been all over the internet this week, and I’ve watched it every damn time I’ve seen it.

1 Like

I misread the title as “Lizzo vs The Aristocrats”

But I still wasn’t disappointed.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.