Local reporter reports on the awfulness of February

Originally published at: Local reporter reports on the awfulness of February | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Februari is the month when you start noticing the sun coming back. The first early flowers show up. You start feeling that spring may come this year too.

11 Likes

Poor Kevin. While I agree with him that February is a hard month, it’s also a wonderfully short month and over fast. Then it’s March, and those first signs of spring begin to tease us (followed by another cold snap and winter storm, but hope is always good). Plus, February is my birthday month, so at least I’ve got that going for me.

19 Likes

That is some fantastic reporting.

Dunked in honest nihilism, and infused with sheer poetry!

“Most of the birds who can afford it have gone to Florida.” :laughing:

31 Likes

For some ridiculous reason, to which, however, I’ve no desire to be disloyal,
Some person in authority, I don’t know who, very likely the Astronomer Royal,
Has decided that, although for such a beastly month as February,
twenty-eight days as a rule are plenty,
One year in every four his days shall be reckoned as nine and twenty.

–Gilbert and Sullivan, The Pirates of Penzance

18 Likes

Any month looks bleak in downtown St Louis. It’s that middle American city design ethos that was supposed to signal “modern”, but just ends up evoking prison bars and a lack of restrooms.

22 Likes

Oh come on, what prison on earth has a bar??

:wink:

12 Likes

And that’s the way February is.

Can not argue with that…

9 Likes

I dunno… I’ll take February over August anyday.

9 Likes

as a 60 year old cancer survivor, i’ll take any month and any season with a smile and a sense of satisfaction.

42 Likes

If we’re talking about ATL, sure! Here in the frozen north spring can’t come quickly enough. Then July is 100% humidity and 100 degrees, which is a different kind of miserable

16 Likes

That used to be July here, now that’s July AND August (which seems worse to me), AND part of September… The hot humid months now sprawl out for ages…we barely get fall anymore…

14 Likes

Up in the Chicago area spring is a thing of the past too. Frigid weather into late March, into April, then in May it shoots up into the nineties and stays that way until late September. Garden veggies dont react well to the temperature swing.

17 Likes

Gah! We dumb humans have fucked up our planet, haven’t we?

20 Likes

He did warn us…

17 Likes

giphy (4)

9 Likes

Where’s the snow?

2 Likes

The kind without restrooms.

6 Likes

In order to keep our minds & bodies busy, the Dear Wife and I have been doing “home improvement” projects none stop, mostly because of the agreeable weather, as I understand it, this is the mildest winter that any oldy timers have ever seen in the High Desert. End result is our hot tub/spa room is complete, just waiting for the tub to be delivered. Next on the list is updating our home gym out’a the stone ages with some modern equipment…

16 Likes

“Have you been drinking? No? Well Jesus, here, take a swig of this.”

4 Likes