Local reporter reports on the awfulness of February

Same here in Detroit. December & January are very cold, and feb just continues the cold misery. All those gray, gloomy skies along w/either snow or rain make feb the longest month.

Entrances uncovered
Street signs you never saw
All entrances delivered
Courtesy of winter

ETA: Winter (Hostel-Maxi) | The Annotated Fall

4 Likes

Must…fight…back!
Chocolate Dessert GIF by HuffPost
Where’s my sun lamp? :sunglasses:
The Original Series GIF by Star Trek

15 Likes

Full spectrum lightbulbs also make a big difference, and LED ones are around. Gotta wade thru lotsa grow lights to find 'em.

4 Likes

I’m in Toronto. It’s not nearly as cold here as Montreal but this is just dirty winter. Any snow we get becomes a brown, sad slush. We get freeze and thaw cycles that cover everything in ice when it’s cold. And some people think salt is an alternative to clearing their sidewalks.

4 Likes

Yeah, I lived in the GTA for 18 years, moved back to the Montreal area about 9 years ago. I’m familiar with it. Salting instead of shovelling is often reasonable considering the snow doesn’t usually last all that long.

The effect on traffic used to drive me nuts. Between the people with “all season” tires, SUV’s that supposedly negate weather conditions, and taxis in general, I am somewhat amazed I never had an accident there.

The snow gets brown and slushy here too, then it freezes, lol.

2 Likes

Damn, that looks tasty. :slight_smile:

(not the blinding light)

2 Likes

I have found these useful. I gave my pair away when I moved out of St. Louis. These images below are similar to the ones I had.

5 Likes

Wait… is that an actual thing?

I honestly can’t tell marketing copy from satire anymore…

8 Likes

I live in Stockholm, down south in Montreal you may not welcome the sun back as much as we do. During Januari I can see the sun from the window of my apartment for a few hours, but it is so low in the sky that as soon as I get down to street level I have to go to one of a few special open places for it to reach above surrounding houses or trees.

Still better than northern Sweden where I did military service. There you could look at the watch and see it was 11:15 and wonder if it was am or pm.

9 Likes

And that’s in St. Louis, which is on the same latitude as Lisbon and Palermo. What are those of us supposed to say about February who live much, much further north?

4 Likes

Most have multiple. Hundreds, possibly.

1 Like

Yeah, Montréal is on the same latitude as Milano and Lyon

1 Like

5 Likes

On its centenary

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.

4 Likes

Just some building that has given up the fight.

6 Likes

The Millennium Tower is in St Louis now?

4 Likes

When February ends, it does feel like a survival challenge just passed.

I knew I had to get out of Vermont when an entire February went by, and the temp never strayed from -10. ALL. Month.

9 Likes

I lived in Watertown New York (Ft. Drum). My idea was to tie a snowshovel to the front of my truck, then drive south until someone said “what the heck is that thing?” Then I’d stop.

10 Likes

You doubt it? Why, it’s Clincally (sic) Proven.

6 Likes

It is real.
I got my first pair used, from a family member, who had bought it here:

5 Likes