London "slingshot ride" turns into a nightmare for two teens when one of its cords snaps (video)

Originally published at: London "slingshot ride" turns into a nightmare for two teens when one of its cords snaps (video) | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Yeah, uninjured. Right.

8 Likes

The commentary, “I fuckin’ knew it, these things are rigged; every time.” is odd. Do these things snap very often?

6 Likes

Honestly not as scary as I thought it would look. The cage clearly did its job.

5 Likes

Almost the anniversary of this

As if I needed another excuse to avoid Winter Wonderland.

8 Likes

Well, poorly rigged apparently.

Also Non-Twitter video for those who want it:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=winter+wonderland+slingshot+fail

6 Likes

These things happen. Sometimes the expert ride operator is busy texting his girlfriend or trying to study for the big algebra test.

10 Likes

It’s a tetherball feature.

7 Likes

Yep, plus it broke in the down position rather than at the top of the ride(?). That would have been considerably worse.

7 Likes

i would guess pretty traumatized though

4 Likes

Yike!

2 Likes

This really needs more hearts

2 Likes

For more of a deep dive of the different types of Slingshot rides and how they should be operated and when they are clearly not, Coaster College does a deep dive. I watched this only a few days ago! The video focuses on the modern design of these attractions, but does cover what seems to be the older model of this flat ride.

While the video contains footage of the older style slingshots cords breaking in the lower (locked) position, there is no distributing footage contained in the video.

This could have been so much worse, and I need to review all of the universes and check the outcomes, but…

The ball could have flung upwards and crushed one/both rider’s legs against the support pillar.

The first cord could have snapped, partially launching the ball upwards, only to have the second cord not be able to handle the full weight and snap free, and the snapping cord could have hit the riders, staffer, or bystanders.

The uneven weight distribution could have flung the ball updwards, and then the second cord could have then snapped due to the extra weight, and the ball could have gone sailing off on a balistic trajectory.

The first cord snapped, partial liftoff, second cord snap, ball hits support pillar and caroms into bystanders.

Other than skee ball or the dart toss for prizes, I fear everything at a carney.

2 Likes

Someone died in a ‘reverse bungee’ twenty five years ago:

And at no extra cost for the punters!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.