Look at these birds named by people who must hate birds

Originally published at: Look at these birds named by people who must hate birds | Boing Boing

6 Likes

But there seem to be a lot of wheatears on twitter already.

The name “wheatear” is not derived from “wheat” or any sense of “ear”, but is a folk etymology of “white” and “arse”

10 Likes

That was a fantastic thread.

Also…just look at this eel that someone mentions in the middle of all those birds :smiley:

11 Likes

Thanks, I really needed that laugh

6 Likes

Maybe we could force it through a truth in advertising complaint.

No Goatsucker?

2 Likes

Looking for the rare Chirpy Turddropper.

3 Likes

Rare? Those things are everywhere!

Let the talking begin…

2 Likes
1 Like

that is the coolest looking moray eel I have ever seen! (and I have seen many. they are all creepy-cool bastards!)

4 Likes

Rough-Faced Shag? Noooo, baby!
Austin_Danger_Powers_Mike_Myers

6 Likes

Morays are amazing creatures. I have a very early memory of one of my dad’s diving buddies getting bitten by one when we lived in Florida.

I’ve only ever seen one in the wild, a huge “tame” one that would come around to divers looking for fish/whatever else it could get (also in Florida, but a different part). I was encouraged to pet the eel. They feel very cool. I would never have done so if the instructor hadn’t insisted.

7 Likes

Bold survival of strategy disguising yourself as delicious food.

4 Likes

Take a minute to think about the bastard who named the Edible Dormouse:

6 Likes

The poor Black-billed thrush has ended up with the systematic name of Turdus ignobilis

2 Likes

What about The Bubble-eyed Roof-CootThe Greater (and Lesser) Stench-Bill … and The Offal-Footed Equine-assed Robin?

3 Likes

Awww! Cute little boi. I’ll share on Unicorn Chasers.

3 Likes

Classic, thanks so much for posting!

Don’t even start with the Latin names! OK, I’ll start: Turdus migratorius, the American robin

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.