Man rescues a tiny parakeet egg and raise the hatchling

Originally published at: Man rescues a tiny parakeet egg and raise the hatchling | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The man has a magic mustache.

4 Likes

(My bold below. Not implying anything at all about USian education or culture or the ability of US admen to underestimate their markets. Oh, no. Not me.) :wink:

…budgie which is the common term for a budgerigar, a small Australian parakeet. A parakeet is a parrot with a long tail and a slender body. There are hundreds of types of parakeets and budgies are just one of them. So, look at you go, in one new friend you have a budgie, a parakeet AND a parrot!

Where it got twisted is that if you’re in America, you have probably only seen these little guys referred to as parakeets or, for certain color mutations, fancy parakeets. When they first started selling budgies in America (or so the lore goes), the Ad Men sat around a table and said, “we can’t possibly sell something call budgerigar to American families! They will never be able to pronounce it, let alone understand what that is!”

Then they asked themselves if there was any other name they could call it and realized that it’s also a parakeet. Patting themselves on the back, they decided that budgies would be known as parakeets, and any other parakeet would have to pick another name or a modifier!

This is how we came to have our little misnomered babies.

7 Likes

We seem to have a leitmotif of men kissing baby birds going on here [squinty eye emoji]

2 Likes

a tiny parakeet egg…then turns into a beautiful grown parrot.

That’s a hell of a trick!

3 Likes

Now I want to see someone give their budgerigar the name Pete.

5 Likes

Named after a famous smuggler?

7 Likes

Um, the politician…

3 Likes

Pete Parakeet was a politician!? :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Pete Buttigieg GIF by GIPHY News

9 Likes

Oh…

real housewives oops GIF

6 Likes

Thank you.
As I understand it birds don’t have an umbilical cord, they have a cord that attaches to a yolk sac in the shell that the bird ingests before hatching leaving a little scar. I only discovered this based on a brief search inspired by the video (maybe others will know what happens in the wild if the bird hatches before the ingestion?).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.