Mother robin wiggles on her nest full of eggs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/15/mother-robin-wiggles-on-her-ne.html

15 Likes

/me sends all his spare wiggles!

9 Likes

Baby birbs!

12 Likes

“God DAMN my cloaca itches.”

7 Likes

5 Likes

Wonder if the reason is some of the many the parasites that inhabit nests?

1 Like

Four hours in an no Rockin’ Robbin posts. I am disappoint.

4 Likes
2 Likes

ezgif-7-02c1a6c8f55a

26 Likes

Could be, she doesn’t have time for a sandbath now (or whatever robins do to get rid of parasites).

7 Likes

Standard procedure, she is constantly rotating the eggs to assure even temperature.

5 Likes

Lovely.

But I was … umm… disappointed (but not in BB - let me be very clear about that!) when I realised this was an American post and thus was about a thrush not a flycatcher.
American Robin,

American Robin

Source

European Robin

European Robin

Source

They are from different families of birds,

The American robin (Turdus migratorius) is a migratory songbird of the thrush family. It is named after the European robin3 because of its reddish-orange breast, though the two species are not closely related, with the European robin belonging to the Old World flycatcher family.

Source

The Old World flycatchers are a large family, the Muscicapidae, of small passerine birds mostly restricted to the Old World (Europe, Africa and Asia). These are mainly small arboreal insectivores, many of which, as the name implies, take their prey on the wing.
(Though not the robin, by and large, as I understand it)

Source

The thrushes are a family, Turdidae, of passerine birds with a worldwide distribution. The family was once much larger before the subfamily Saxicolinae, which includes the chats and European robins, was split out and moved to the Old World flycatchers. The thrushes are small to medium-sized ground living birds that feed on insects, other invertebrates and fruit.

I make no comment about the American robin, with a large red thing on its breast, being a Turdus, oh, no - you think I’m stupid or something? :wink:

ETA also, this being a Xeni post - where were all the tweets? (Rockin’ Robin got them all?)

5 Likes

:musical_note: You’re a freak:musical_note:
Shut up!

:rofl:

2 Likes

Possibly my favorite binomial.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.