Look at this endless line of cars waiting for the drive-thru at Jack in the Box

Originally published at: Look at this endless line of cars waiting for the drive-thru at Jack in the Box | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Have they not eaten there before? Or is there something unique about this particular Jack in the Box?

18 Likes

Jack in the Box?! Why?

17 Likes
18 Likes

Ah. So they haven’t eaten there before. That makes sense.

17 Likes

Been a while, Andrea! Hope you’re well!

Moving Pictures Hello GIF

19 Likes

Obligatory

13 Likes

they can’t make the 8 foot walk to the totally empty counter

16 Likes

That’s almost as long as the line to my local Starbucks.

5 Likes

I don’t get it.

I’ve eaten there once, and the burger was terrible. It turned into like a paste in my mouth that was hard to swallow. I don’t know if the one I went to was just bad or what, but I’ve never been back.

Even when we got a Whattaburger in KC, the lines weren’t THAT long (though they were silly long for awhile.)

5 Likes

I’m having trouble believing that there aren’t alternatives to the one jack-in-the-Box location in Salt Lake, City, Utah. I’m having trouble believing that there is just on Jack-In-Box in Salt Lake city. The fact that the clip ends before we see the line entering jack-in-the-Box gives me pause, but I do believe that it could happen.

Two municipalities near me had to add signs near a Chick-fil-A and a Starbucks to help mitigate the lines of cars that blocked traffic. Despite this, the police still blare out audio warnings and give tickets.

I still like to think that I could lead the line of cars around in circles, like E.O. Wilson leading ants into an endless trail with a pheromone. Perhaps some judicious signs and bag of curly fries would do the trick.

:fries: :ant: :ant: :ant: :ant: :ant: :ant: :ant:

6 Likes

I’m in favor of more public transport and walkable towns above all, and glad to not have more land taken up with parking lots, but it’s pretty diabolical how fast food chains have cashed in on the whole “drive thru” phenomenon to kick their parking and traffic flow responsibilities onto the municipality.

19 Likes

Yeah, there’s something weird there—there seemed to be a gap between the line of cars and the Jack in the Box, which made me wonder if the cars actually were going to the Jack in the Box or to someplace else…I can’t say they’re not, but I can’t say they are, either… :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

(I neither drive a car nor eat from fast food places, so I hadn’t been that aware of it until I read this CNN article just the other day.)

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/24/business/drive-thru-fast-food-chick-fil-a-urban-planning/index.html

10 Likes

And let’s try not to think about the pollution from 100 idling cars for an hour.

Hey! I said try NOT to think about it!

11 Likes

Not sure where you are, but I’ll take a stab at Mile of Cars Way off I-5 in National City (San Diego)? There’s always a line out into the street and down the block for those, and also the In N’ Out in the same plaza.

6 Likes

My municipality stopped issuing new licenses for drive throughs a while back for just that reason. Now I wish they’d start charging ever increasing annual fees to the existing businesses for the right to keep operating them, until the businesses throw up their hands and shutter the drive throughs.

6 Likes

We used to call it Jack in the Crack….but I had no idea they were serving actual crack there. That’s the only thing that could explain a line like that.

6 Likes

A video that starts at the end of the line of “a seemingly endless line”. No.

1 Like

Sounds like this is their first location in Utah, so it makes sense that there would be a lot of initial interest. It was like this in Southern California when KrispyKreme donuts first arrived, but the infatuation didn’t stick and after a while many locations closed down.

6 Likes