Look how happy the "Mushroom King" is to find a gargantuan mushroom

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/07/look-how-happy-the-mushroom.html

2 Likes

Isn’t the Mushroom King the canonical father of Princess Peach?

5 Likes

I found an awesome line of mushrooms growing on a live tree yesterday. Took a pic of it. I love weird fungi.

1 Like

Can you eat that thing? Because if you can we need to rethink that whole “Teach a man to fish …” business.

3 Likes

I think if it is a bolate, then yes. We were camping up in Shasta a while back and tried to get over to some lava tubes. One car (mine) was not 4 wheel drive and the snow got to hip deep over the road so we turned back. My buddy’s Dad is a mushroom hunter and he said, well this area looks like it might be good for mushroom hunting… so we pull over and I open my door and almost step on a few morels, we gathered many pounds of bolates (none even close to that monster!) and ate em for breakfast lunch and dinner. Even took some home. A dab of garlic, some olive oil, sprinkle of salt and twist of pepper and done!

YUM!

1 Like

They so often have those little worms though.

He wears camouflage to sneak up on the shrooms more effectively?

4 Likes

Since the part above ground is the fruiting body, what the hell is that thing like underground? Jabba the Hutt?

2 Likes

Is this the origin of Myconids in D&D?

2 Likes

I took home about 3lbs. of a Berkeley’s Polypore last summer. It was about 15-20% of the mushroom. Gamey flavor, tough and a little gritty. Diced it, and cooked it down with garlic, butter and Worcestershire sauce, and then it was pretty good added to stir-fry, and added it once to a Shooter’s Sandwich.

The “mother” is probably still there by the bike trail, ready to be plucked.

1 Like

He looks like a “Fun guy” :wink:

1 Like

There didn’t appear to be “mushroom” in that bag… :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll get my coat…

And now, fellow mutants, please have a look at your biology textbook under the lemma Termitomyces titanicus Pegler & Piearce and consider the humble termite.

I found a bolete not half that size and was at least that pleased with myself.

1 Like

5 Likes

Look at this giant mushroom, wow!

Well, we can’t be letting it get any bigger! pick

Sometimes I wish people would just leave things alone. (I am pleased by how happy he is to find it though!)

ETA: I don’t really care THAT much in the case of a mushroom, but similar things with animals do really annoy me sometimes.

Is porcini and I am happy just to look at it.

Cat for scale.

1 Like