Look inside Canada's largest mansion which is completely abandoned and a total mess

Originally published at: Look inside Canada's largest mansion which is completely abandoned and a total mess | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Located about five hours north of Toronto, Ontario?

That’s inside the Arctic Circle. Just a hop skip & jump away…

9 Likes

somewhere in red?

3 Likes

Further from Toronto and Montreal than they are from each other.

11 Likes

So you can’t get there from here, Roger That.

11 Likes

My name is Ozymandias,
CEO of CEOs…

22 Likes

“Well try to imagine if the window was clear enough to see the ‘view’ of the lake, and it didn’t have ‘Penis’ written on it?”

3 Likes

Google Maps says it’s 500+ km drive, so a bit over 5 hours, depending on traffic.

5 Likes

Another monument against billionaires.

21 Likes

There probably won’t be much traffic once you get north of Muskoka.

I thought for sure this was going to be about the abandoned castle outside of Kingston (the heart island one), but that’s not really all that big. I’m quite surprised the biggest mansion in Canada is located far north in Ontario, though.

7 Likes

If you want to drive there yourself: 155 Farr Dr, Haileybury, ON P0J, Canada

13 Likes

Boldt Castle was planned to be 60,000 sq ft, this is apparently 65,000 sq ft.

https://sites.newpaltz.edu/nyrediscovered/2013/09/26/49/

7 Likes

It’s only a model.

18 Likes

Shhh!

12 Likes

It could make a stock set for some ruined futuropolis.

img-1-small580

11 Likes

Ah. That makes sense. My dad used to explore Boldt Castle in the 70s after it was abandoned, but before it became a proper tourist attraction.

5 Likes

Not a single residence, but probably larger.

Look inside Canada’s Scientology Headquarters which is completely abandoned and a total mess

9 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZdrLArLGl8

8 Likes

The glue kings castle. A captain of OSB.
He knew his product well so he only used it to make forms then threw it away.

Seeing buildings like this fills me with pain at the sight of all the wasted resources. Of course they can’t even give it away - the cost of completing it, even before it started falling apart, would have been enormous, all for a building that was such an idiosyncratic design it wouldn’t be useful for anyone else. (I mean, someone might find the building itself useful, but probably not at that location.) At some point the local government will be paying millions to tear it down, with all the contents and structure reduced to landfill. So maddening.

I was shocked to discover this guy wasn’t even a billionaire. I’m guessing making it an office/home was what allowed him to spend that much money on it, because either he could dip into company funds and/or get some sort of tax write-off.

18 Likes