Looking for a tool to organize my photos on disk

I’m starting to have a lot of photos stored, and I haven’t sorted so newer ones into folder for a long time.

I dislike doing things on the computer that an algorithm could do in a few seconds, so I’m looking for a tool that could group photos in folders, maybe add a YYYY-MM-DD at the beginning and allow me to add a folder name.

I know that programs like Picasa or Lightroom can do something similar, but they do not create real folders on disk, do they ? Basically, I’d like to have them auto sorted, like itunes can do with music files. I don’t like being that dependent on a piece of software, with regular folder I can easily find & share pictures, even if I don’t have it installed, or if I’m using a different computer or OS.

I think the main problem here is that innovation is mostly done on websites now, such as sorting by “interesting”, on G+ or Flickr.

http://www.mediabistro.com/appnewser/google-plus-now-uses-artificial-intelligence-to-automatically-sort-and-modify-photos_b35760

I strongly recommend Lightroom, it is by far adobes best product imho. You stop thinking about folders and start thinking about collections, ratings, keywords and so on.

It has a major advantage over picasa, it will never mess with our filesystem unless you explicitly ask it to.

I know I should :slight_smile: Software can add so much more to simple folders, such as tags and ratings. Yet I do like when a program keeps the actual folders on the disk in an understandable system ; I often try new apps, access my files from windows/linux/other, and can share the files to someone, without the need for them to have the same piece of software.

Itunes does fine in this case, I have ratings and smart playlists, and the files are kept in a music/artist/album structure.

I feel your pain.

A while back I went looking for an app that could run a slideshow in the same way ACDSee 5 does, but uses a decent resize algorithm… came with squat except feh, for the Linux command line : /

I think the key feature for lightroom is that never messes with your folder structure or actual original files. Picasa commits a ton of crimes against your folder structure, it moves stuff around, it creates magic folders and so on… strongly recommend against it (even though the facial recognition is sweet)

This topic was automatically closed after 1277 days. New replies are no longer allowed.