Los Angeles considers deploying a robotic police dog

Originally published at: Los Angeles considers deploying a robotic police dog | Boing Boing

4 Likes

History, even recent history, shows us that if it CAN be abused by police, it WILL be abused by police.

11 Likes

Yoink!

Stealing Mike D GIF by Beastie Boys

4 Likes

6 Likes

I hope they don’t go through with the purchase but if they do they should at least give it a proper sci-fi dystopian name, like “Los Angeles Police Department, Offensive Ground-unit (L.A.P.D.O.G.)”

12 Likes

Or, you know, just call it the Mechanical Hound.

19 Likes

I know you are jesting, but this is too close to being a realized reality and end case.

9 Likes

Hyundai Motor Group owns Boston Dynamics. Hence…

5 Likes

Like this?
eta: or The Rat Things from Snow Crash

9 Likes

SFPD: “We think we’ll start killing people with our robots, something we previously promised not to do.”
NYPD: “We use our robots to spy on police critics. Wait, forget we said that, no we don’t, definitely not. Totally untrue, please ignore the evidence.”
LAPD: “Let us have robots, we promise not to kill anyone with them, or spy on anyone. You can trust us, even though we lie about everything all the time.”
Boston Dynamics: “We won’t let our robots be used by the military. Militarized police, on the other hand…”

Cool, cool.

8 Likes

There are a few things I am tempted to try midjourney for, to see what comes out. One is the rat things. Another is a self devouring ouroboros style leech.

2 Likes

So another possible name for it is the Hyundai Electronic Los Angeles Law Enforcement Hostage Operations, Utility, and Noncombat Dog.

Edit: Forgot an “L”

8 Likes
8 Likes

We’ll have to have a new acronym/hashtag
#ACRAB

2 Likes

Hmm I may need to get some description rather than relying on midjourney to know:

6 Likes

Nope GIF

8 Likes

The dystopia is here. It’s just not evenly distributed.

7 Likes

Look at the fingers… just LOOK at them! :astonished:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Supposedly these things can’t detect when their legs are obstructed by cords. Apparently Boston Dynamics never watched The Empire Strikes Back.

1 Like